Please sign in to post.

Loire Valley

Hello
Looking for thoughts and suggestions. After Paris, heading to Loire Valley for some exploring and looking for suggestions for a home base. We don't want to rent a car and would prefer public transportation or even biking to see chateau's and will probably stay a week. We are on an extended vacation and planning as we go. We are aware of Schengen.
Thanks so much.

Posted by
2107 posts

Your ability to explore the region without a car will be severely limited. As mentioned, Tours would be the choice without a car.

Posted by
12172 posts

I wouldn't suggest Tours without a car. I rode a bicycle through Tours (coming from Villandry going toward Amboise). I made the mistake of following my GPS in bike mode and it took me off the bike trail. The traffic is horrible.

I did like Amboise with a bike. I rode to Chenonceaux. There is a marked trail just west (downriver) of downtown Amboise. The first kilometer or two are up a pretty steep hill off the river. Once you get up the hill, however, the rest is a nice bike trail through forest and gentle grades. It's, if I recall correctly, 22-25 km each way.

In Amboise you can also see the Royal Amboise Chateau and Clos Luce by bike or foot. Clos Luce starts with the same rather steep uphill as you leave the river but it's not far.

Posted by
2394 posts

We have stayed twice with a bike in Onzain ( opposite Chaumont ).