Please sign in to post.

Loire Valley

What is the most beautiful town (under the radar) to stay in?
I stayed in Blois one time.

Posted by
6902 posts

Not under the radar at all, but Amboise is very nice and convenient at the same time.
Further south I like Loches, but it's not the Loire Valley anymore.
EDIT: I initially wrote Chinon but I meant Loches

Posted by
5588 posts

There have been some recent threads, especially one that had some great discussion of Loire.

Posted by
7302 posts

Hi, I just stayed at Angers. I’ll be pulling together a trip report in the next few days.

Posted by
3699 posts

I don't know how under the radar it is, but I really like Loches but it depends on what else you plan to do in the Loire Valley. Beautiful is beautiful of course but how long you stay makes a difference. I have been to some beautiful villages in the area but I would not recommend them for anything more than one night or an afternoon because of the boredom factor.

Posted by
7857 posts

Gotcha. I think I stayed 2 or 3 nights in Blois visiting castles the last time and it was kind of sleepy

Posted by
7035 posts

I've stayed in Blois also and enjoyed it very much. But the last time I stayed in Azay-le-Rideau and absolutely loved it. Much smaller town, and nice to walk around in the evening with the chateau right there all lit up at night. Only works if you have a car. Would most likely stay there again.

Posted by
2112 posts

I'll so suggest Loches. It's far enough south that it remains relatively quiet. We spent a week there and had a great time. The valley and all the chateaux are a short drive away. Loches itself is charming and worth at least a day or two of exploring itself.

There's market days on Wednesday and Saturday. There are some nice restaurants in Loches, but we stayed in an apartment and just shopped at the market and the local grocery store for most meals.

Our grandson is actually living in Loches at the moment. He is staying with friends. He just started his second year in college at the University of Tours (the first year was in Paris!) and is working out housing in Tours, since he has to get up at 5:00am to make his first class by bus.

Posted by
12172 posts

I liked Amboise. I don't think it's under the radar but it's small and has the services you need without a lot of traffic. I liked that it had both a Royal Chateau and Clos Luce within walking distance.

Posted by
73 posts

We just stayed in Amboise last week for 4 days and there was definitely traffic, not to mention super narrow roads. Not really impressed by the town.

Posted by
1336 posts

I will also suggest Loches! Such a small, sleepy village with so much to see at your fingertips. Walking at night in the centre ville is unreal!

My highschool's sister school is there. So every so often I get to take a group of students