Please sign in to post.

Lodging in Provence

Will be in Provence area for five days in September. Looking for lodging in small B&B, or small hotel. Hoping to find place with friendly host(s) that can offer good insight and suggestions on how to enrich our visit.

Posted by
6713 posts

Do you want one place for the whole time? Will you have a car?

Posted by
1949 posts

Last Oct I stayed at Le Quatre Dauphins in Aix en Provence (found in Rick's guidebook.) They are a small inn, but well located with very friendly staff. Also Aix has a wonderful Tourist Office which really helped me plan my days there. Their bus depot is outdoors & well designed and I found it helpful to get me around without a car.

Posted by
2199 posts

Look at "Gîtes de France", a very well-known organization in France that has existed since the 70s (long before the internet and Airbnb) Individuals who rent accommodation, ranging from a simple room to a castle with swimming pool.

All accommodations are checked regularly and must meet precise comfort and service specifications.

https://www.gites-de-france.com/en/search?regions=17&seed=2b30054f

Posted by
1143 posts

gingered 65th,
I second Jolui regarding gites-de-france. We have used them many times, for one night chambres d'hote to stays of 10-14 days. Longer stays are possible also. Reliable and well-run organization.

Posted by
1143 posts

gingered 65th,
Can you narrow down where in Provence you plan on staying? It covers a lot of territory. Which towns or cities have you considered?

Posted by
1143 posts

Shannon, is this the place in Arles you are referring to? LOr is it in another town?

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you all for the information. We will be arriving (at end of Viking cruise) middle of September in Avignon and will depart out of Marseilles a week later. Want to revisit some of area we were at many years ago- Aix,, St.Remy, and dscover new . We wil have a car. Would it make sense to stay in one spot and travel daily from there or should we plan on multiple locations? We are two seniors ,seasoned travelers and will have car. Focus on enjoying the scenery, people and food.Love the Farmers Markets. Avoid bigger towns and congested traffic if possible. Love taking small roads when possible even if a little longer trip.

We were in the area in April. We stayed in St. Remy and in the Luberon in a gite between Gordes, Joucas, and Rousillon. St. Remy is a good central location to Avignon, Nimes, Pont du Gard, Arles, the Camargue, and the Luberon. Our hotel in St. Remy was le Mas des Carassins. It was excellent for parking our rental, and the staff was very helpful with regional travel. Their restaurant is also excellent. We would use this hotel again as a base.

If we wanted to shift our center a bit more toward the Luberon, we would stay somewhere in l'Isle sur la Sorgue. It is beautiful.

Posted by
7028 posts

We loved our stay at Le Maison de Line
https://lamaisondeline.fr/home/
Easy 10 min walk to town, beautiful grounds, secure on site parking and easy in/out for day trips. We had a cottage with kitchenette and washing machine, private outdoor terrace
I would love to return there

We were there during a heat wave in September 2017 and didn’t book for the pool but it sure came in handy
We day tripped all over Provence from there, very central