Please sign in to post.

Limoges

We will be spending two nights in Limoges in about three weeks. Last time I was there was decades ago, but I remember it as a lovely town. Anyone have suggestions as to must-do sights or restaurants? We will be in centre ville but will have a car if needed.

Posted by
27207 posts

I really enjoyed Limoges; it's an especially good destination for folks interested in decorative arts, and the historic center is quite picturesque and would take some time to see. I'm traveling now and don't have access to my notes, but this is what I remember:

• Oradour-sur-Glane is a very well-presented memorial/museum at the site of a WWII Nazi atrocity. The destroyed town has been preserved. The museum itself could take 2 hours if you read all the English material, so I'd recommend allowing 3 hours plus travel time. A car would make this an easy side trip. The bus service is a bit infrequent but manageable.

• The Musee des Beaux-Arts for art and enamels. There's also an Egyptian collection, but that's not really my thing, so I don't remember how impressed I was (and I wouldn't be a good judge anyway).

• The Musee National Adrien Debouche for porcelain and ceramics. This was larger than I expected. I was loaned a tablet loaded with a lot of detailed information on the history of porcelain; these days you may need to download the material to your own device. I'm more interested in contemporary ceramics, but I regretted having only 2 to 3 hours here because the guide was so worthwhile. I remember thinking that a porcelain junkie could spend the entire day here.

• The Cathedral.

There are other historic churches, but I don't remember which ones I saw.

There's also a Resistance Museum. I believe I missed that, and I always go to those, so I think it may be new, or perhaps it was closed at the time of my visit.

Plus the historic center.