Please sign in to post.

Leasing a car in France

Hello!
We are wanting to rent/lease a car in France for a few weeks to possibly 6 months or more and not have to buy a car. Any recommendations?
Also does AmEx or other cc companies cover deductibles?

Many thanks?
Lisa

Posted by
443 posts

We leased a car for a month last summer through Auto Europe, the same consolidator who also offers regular car rentals. Our car was from Renault. But I think there is also Pugeot maybe others. All the insurance was included. So we didn't need to check whether our credit card covered. It was easy. And a good value. Brand new car. Good service. The only difference from regular car rental is there was some period before the rental date that some amount became nonrefundable. I don't remember if was whole amount or just a portion and I don't remember the time period (maybe 30 days, maybe 7 days). And you do need some coordination of pickup time as at least for Renault at Marseilles airport where we picked up they don't staff the office all day/night like the regular rental car outfits. They come pick you up in a courtesy van and take you to the office. But we had no trouble at either end of lease. We paid about US$1500 for the month all included.

Posted by
4 posts

Many thanks for your reply! Will ck on this! We are neighbors: right across the big lake in Holland, MI! ☺️
Lisa

Posted by
2267 posts

Even 'primary' credit card insurance usually only covers rentals under 30 days.

Posted by
2586 posts

I believe the American Express primary coverage was for rentals exceeding 30 days but I do not remember it being more than 45 days.

A 6 month period takes you beyond the 90 day visitor limit and the short term lease periods for tourists may not be available for periods in excess of 90 days. Renault and Peugeot both have lease programs you may check into.

Posted by
93 posts

Europcar is generally best as its French and have locations everywhere in Europe. Having said this no idea about longer term rates...I once rented for 3 months and was fine but had to return car and renew lease a few times.