Please sign in to post.

Biking in the Alps and alternate activities

Hello!

I'm planning two weeks in France at the beginning of September (Arrive in Paris, three days in Paris (I have been numerous times and love it), an overnight in Tours, five days near Vezac, and five days in Le Bourg d'Oisans), depart from Lyon. The first part is in the Dordogne region, which I believe the travel forum covers pretty well. The second portion of the trip, we are planning to spend in the French Alps with a particular interest in Le Bourg d'Oisans. For me, I lived in Geneva years ago and have been to Chamonix and Annecy. My partner, however, has never been to France. He is an avid cyclist and chose Le Bourg d'Oisans because of the iconic Tour de France climb of the Alpe d'Huez, knowing that there a number of other fantastic cycling routes in the area as well. I'm also very active but prefer mountain biking and hiking and have found resources online that provide some guidance in that area. Where my query comes in is for other activities. My mother will be joining us. She's 70, more sedentary than active though does enjoy relatively flat walks. Unlike Chamonix where I could take her on a cable car or the glacier train ride, I am having a difficult time finding activities that she may enjoy. She loves history, museums, castles, good food, etc. In Dordogne, I can balance hikes/bike rides with a visit to Lascaux or a chateau, for example. Does anyone have any experience in the Bourg d'Oisans area and good suggestions to help my mom enjoy this area as well? And to be fair, she'll be happy with sitting and reading a good book or two but if we can get her out, I'd like that too. We will have a rental car.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Posted by
6919 posts

There are several options in the area!

In terms of flat(tish) walks, I suggest you drive to La Berarde, a stunning drive in itself, and hike to Plan du Carrelet, which is a less than 200-m gentle elevation gain. About 2.5 hours round trip, in the middle of the Écrins national park.
If that sounds like too much, there are some walks on the valley floor right in Bourg d'Oisans, going south towards the Romanche river. Never done them.

Also worth considering:

• driving up to l'Alpe d'Huez and taking the Pic du Lac Blanc cable car (3300m, stunning views)
  • driving to La Grave and (1) taking the Glaciers de la Meije cable car (3200m) and (2) driving up the other side of the valley to the Oratoire du Chazelet for more views and a thrilling/terrifying platform extending into the void (the platform is optional).
  • visiting Vizille: beautiful castle, museum of the French Revolution (only saw the outside)
  • visiting Briançon, a Vauban fortress-town
Posted by
3 posts

Balso,

Thank you so much for those suggestions! They are perfect. I was having such a difficult time finding suggestions for anything outside of Chamonix and Annecy. I really appreciate your time and insights.

Posted by
6919 posts

You're welcome!
I forgot to mention that the road to La Berarde has a one-way system in place in high season: driving up only at some times and down only at others. Inquire locally (the Office du Tourisme on Bourg d'Oisans should have the info, or online).

And some roads in the area are downright scary, so don't follow your GPS blindly. In particular the road to Villard-Notre-Dame, and the shortest roads to Auris and Villard-Reculas. Go for the thrills, or avoid altogether. This is a good example of what I mean. It's a bit less scary in reality (Google cameras are perched on the roof of the car) but still...

Last but not least: if you are looking for a guidebook, the Michelin Green Guides thoroughly cover the French Alps including the Oisans/Écrins area.

Posted by
3 posts

Balso,
Thank you again. Those are wonderful tips and warnings. All very good to know! (I'm imagining biking on those balcony roads with cars passing. Eek.)

I noticed you mentioned Auris. I haven't booked accommodations yet. And have been wrestling with whether we should stay in Le Bourg d'Oisans proper or if staying in some place like Auris makes sense. If you have any suggestions for places to stay, I'd welcome them. We are staying in a gite in Dordogne and I was thinking it might be nice to stay at a small hotel or B&B for social interaction while in the Alps. It might also give my mother people to interact with if we're out cycling or hiking and she wishes to stay behind. Thanks again!

Posted by
6919 posts

Le Bourg d'Oisans is a good choice. It is a proper small town and it is quite pretty! Auris and other small resorts (Villard Reculas, Oz, etc) would be very quiet, and the larger ski resorts of Alpe d'Huez and Deux Alpes are kind of ugly (plus, ski resorts look barren in summer).
Further up the Lautaret road, I like La Grave but the road is intrusive and it is less convenient.

No idea about accommodation, sorry.