Please sign in to post.

Layover Times

My wife and I are planning a trip to France in the Fall, flying out of Boston to Lyon. This means we’d be changing planes and my question is about layover times. We want to be sure we have enough time to go through customs and allow our checked bags to make it onto the new flight. Coming in we’d have about 4 hours in CDG which is probably more than enough time and we’re OK with that. However, heading back to Boston we’d have either 2.5 hours in CDG or 3.25 hours in Amsterdam. We’d like to know if anyone has done something similar and if they think our layover times make sense or if they have any other suggestions.
Thanks very much.
Jim

Posted by
2267 posts

Someone's gonna ask, so it might as well be me...

Are these connecting flights the same or separate tickets?

2h30m is probably ok for CDG. But I wouldn't do much less. 3h15m should be fine for AMS.

Posted by
13937 posts

I agree, 2.5 hours should be enough time if you are on one ticket and your flight leaves on time. You'll have to go thru exit Passport control and security again.

Going in the other direction last Fall the time it took at a moderate pace walking from the door of my Delta flight from Seattle to my gate for my flight from Milan including Security and entry passport control was 1h10m. I did not make a comfort stop until I got to my gate.

Posted by
3999 posts

If you are on one itinerary, I would choose AMS to fly home as it’s a much easier airport than CDG.

Posted by
18 posts

Hi Scudder,
We are booking it as a round trip on Delta. However, Delta is putting us on Air France and/or KLM Cityhopper for the connecting flights to and from Lyon. My guess is that we’ll have a hike between gates.
Thanks the information on layovers. Just what I was looking for.
Jim

Posted by
18 posts

Pam,
Your comment on exit Passport control and security is very helpful. I was thinking we’d be going through something like that but wasn’t sure. Your experience last Fall also gives me the insight I was looking for too.
Thanks very much,
Jim

Posted by
18 posts

Hi Continental,
We’ve been through CDG a couple of times and I know what you mean. Have never been through AMS so that’s good to know when we finalize our plans.
Thanks
Jim

Posted by
610 posts

I fly Delta almost exclusively and have encountered either a KLM (at AMS) or an Air France (at CDG) connection going to and coming from Europe, Africa, etc. I have five upcoming connections through these airports. For CDG I allow about 2 and 1/2 hours total time because it usually takes an hour from gate to gate. For AMS I allow total time of 1 and 1/2 hours. Transfers have been much smoother there for me. I am using priority or fast track lanes.

Although I mentioned airlines above it is important to note that the carrier doesn’t matter. It’s the transitioning experience through passport control (rarely an issue) and security (regularly a bottleneck).

Posted by
14 posts

It's way easier to connect in AMS than CDG, as long as you don't mind the longer layover.

Posted by
18 posts

raymonelee - Thank you very much for you comments. It’s a tremendous help to hear from someone whose experience so close matches our plans!

Mickey T - I really appreciate you adding another vote for AMS!

Everyone - I want to thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences in response to my question. Based on your input, we will be revising our plans to focus only on AMS and to plan our layover times accordingly. My best to you all. Jim

Posted by
8055 posts

When you do this sort of transfer there is no customs involved, but you do need to go through emigration passport control. You don't go through the normal exit process; your bags are checked through and you do a correspondence transfer. At CDG it may involve an airside shuttle. At Amsterdam it is in one big terminal so you just exit your domestic flight and then follow the signs to your gate -- if your gate is an international flight leaving then it will take you through passport control on your way there. If your plane is late and you have less than an hour, your flight will be listed on a special expedited passport control gate and you can use that.

We were originally scheduled with 90 minutes at CDG on a Berlin/CDG/Chicago trip this spring but then the first flight changed and I noticed that that flight was almost always late --- so that meant when they changed it to 60 minutes which was a legal transfer, that I had a high chance of missing the connection. I then changed the flight to Berlin/Amsterdam/ Chicago where is have 1:50. The transfer supposedly can be done airside in 60 minutes so I have a little more cushion there for late flights. It sounds like you have way plenty time at either airport BUT from my research on this, the Amsterdam transfer looks easier, since you are in the same terminal and don't have to take a shuttle anywhere.

You can go on line and literally do videos that walk you through the process. I was greatly comforted by the one for Amsterdam. Of course you can still have a domestic flight cancellation during the current labor unrest -- but if I were you I would choose Amsterdam for the connection just because it looks so straightforward.

OKAY -- you are going the other way. I don't think you do customs at the arrival airport just immigration using the correspondence airside lines. I would still pick Amsterdam because it is all in one big terminal. The important thing is to not follow people outside security but to stay in the terminal and airside. You will come in international and go through immigration and then find your domestic gate.

I found this video very helpful -- more helpful than the stuff on the official site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVfXA1hr04U. IN any case you seem to have plenty of time either way as you will do a correspondence/transfer not exit the secure area and have to go through the whole immigration/emigration security process outside the secure terminal.

Posted by
18 posts

janettravels 44 -
Hi. Thank you so much for your response and video link (which I watched). I may sound like a broken record but this is a TRMENDOUS help. You have given me much more information than I expected and all very useful!! Just so you know, I will be coming back to your response again as we get closer to our trip.
All the best,
Jim

Posted by
8055 posts

thanks I had the same set of questions for our trip back with a short transfer and changed to Amsterdam when the first leg to CDG was shortened. Someone on line sent me that link and I thought it was just super clear. I feel confident that if the flight isn't cancelled or something we will be able to negotiate our transfer efficiently.

Posted by
18 posts

Hi janettravels44 - You’re welcome. I’ve already passed the information on to another couple who will be meeting us over there so in a way you’re helping them too! Jim

Posted by
1321 posts

I have to disagree that AMS is easier then CDG.... last trip a year ago transiting through AMS was a nightmare. 2.5 hours at CDG will be plenty.

Posted by
18 posts

Hi Donna - We haven’t bought our tickets yet but will keep this in mind before we make the final decision. Thanks for the heads up. Jim

Posted by
1321 posts

Jim, there is a website on AMS you can check to see if things gave improved. If I find it, I'll PM you but you should be able to find it with a google search.

Posted by
13937 posts

The transit experience at Schiphol may be very different than the end point arrival this year. However, yesterday arriving mid-day from Seattle I had a 2-minute wait at Immigration. All windows open. 2 couples in line ahead of me and the officer in the EU/crew lane waved me over to her when she was free. I carried on but walked through baggage claim and it was fairly empty. Definitely not the chaos of last summer.

I did deplane near the first but made a comfort stop before going into the Immigration hall so not sure if a lot of my flight was transiting instead of ending here.

Not sure if this helps you with your transit decision but it seemed like things were well staffed and moving smoothly.