Please sign in to post.

Lavender in Provence

We are going from Nice to Verdon Gorge for aqua-trekking. From there I would like to stay somewhere for the night and then drive from there to see fields of lavender. We also want to see the Pont du Gard. Any recommendations for where to stay after the Gorge and which route to take to see lavendar. I want to end up somewhere near the Pont du Gard.

Thanks!

Posted by
3696 posts

Not sure of the exact mileage but there is a beautiful lavender field in front of an Abbey near Gordes. It is the Abbey de Senaque (sp)

Posted by
703 posts

you will need to check the time of year. we were there in early June and the lavendar ( at the abbey mentioned ) was not out. what was there was a purple 'weed' that looked like lavendar at a distance. so worth checking your dates.

Posted by
346 posts

Here's another vote for Senanque Abbey. Be aware they enforce the dress code, so in order to go into the Abbey itself you will need to have knees and shoulders covered. But you don't have to go inside if you don't wish. The "money shot" of the lavender in front of the abbey is just off the parking lot. Arrive early to catch it in the morning light and to avoid the crowds which will come a bit later. We visited both Senanque, Russilon and Pont du Gard in one day last year, and were not rushed.

Posted by
671 posts

We were there last year the last week in June/early July and the lavender was in bloom, both at the Abbey and other places between Gordes and Roussillon.

Posted by
7039 posts

In Provence the lavender bloom is usually from mid-June to mid-August with the peak bloom in early July. They start harvesting mid-July depending on area and how the weather was that summer. I was there in mid-July one year, staying in Roussillon, and between one day and the next many of the beautiful purple fields were nothing but stubble. It was amazing how fast they harvest, it was like elves came during the night and stripped the fields.

Posted by
3696 posts

I was there early and while it was not in full bloom it still had a hint of purple so you knew it was lavender. Actually a friend took a photo of me there while I was photographing and it is on the home page of my facebook page... Terry Kathryn Lawrence Photography.
That image was taken in early June.
With a little photoshop you can always add some color to the lavender (I did not in my image)... but you can still enjoy the whole scene as it is beautiful and the Abbey and Gordes are amazing.

Posted by
160 posts

I was in provence in mid june last year. Senaque was not yet in bloom, but I found beautiful fields around Gordes just by driving back roads. The first big field was such a pleasant surprise, because I thought I was too early, but I saw quite a bit by just getting lost on small roads. Good luck. sue