Please sign in to post.

Lascaux

We are presently in Sarlot and have reservations for both Lascaux and Font De Gaume tomorrow. We have approximately 3 hours between our reservations, first at Lascaux and then at Font De Gaume. My question is whether anyone knows whether we can tour Lascaux in two hours or less since we need to get to Font De Gaume on time. Not really asking if thats the best amount of time at Lascaux but whether we can get out in two hours whether a tour may prohibit us from leaving? We really want to go to the Font De Gaume as a priority. Wondering if someone can help us who has been to Lascaux? Thanks!

Posted by
8050 posts

the Lascaux II tour takes less than an hour; I can't remember precisely but I'd guess closer to half an hour. I don't know aobut Lascaux IV. It is of course totally crucial to make the Font du Gaume on time. You can always go back to Lascaux if you miss your slot there so if for some reason the process at Lascaux is delayed, bag that and get back to the FTG site. We have toured Font du Gaume twice back before it was so well known and difficult to get into and it was the highlight for us -- we have also done the mock Chauvet cave in the Ardeche, Pech Merle and Roffignac. All were excellent but the Font du Gaume is the best from an authenticity and artistic point of view. We have never had trouble getting tickets for Lascaux and have done that 3 time (taking friends on the last two); each time we got tickets the day of and had no problems getting tours that day.