Please sign in to post.

Languedoc

We are doing a 1 week driving tour of Languedoc near the Spanish border. What are the must see costal towns and villages?

Posted by
10234 posts

I really enjoyed Collioure. It is a charming town, though the beaches I saw were rocky.

Posted by
2916 posts

I'll second Collioure. Meze and Sete are enjoyable, but that's probably further east than you're planning to go.

Posted by
784 posts

In addition to Collioure, Ceret, Carcassone, and Minerve. There are some coastal resort towns north of Colloiure, but some are pretty tacky.

Posted by
3391 posts

I'm not sure how far east you're planning on going but I would also recommend Pezenas, Narbonne, and Beziers. Beziers is on this list because of it's cathedral with amazing views out over the countryside. The other two towns are big on character. Pezenas with its winding streets and amazing weekly market and Narbonne with its massive half-finished cathedral and pretty town center.

Posted by
10234 posts

"In addition to Collioure, Ceret, Carcassone, and Minerve. There are some coastal resort towns north of Colloiure, but some are pretty tacky."

Very true. I spent a week in Canet en Roussillon at my friend's time share. The beach was nice and sandy. The town is what I would consider tired. It has definitely seen better days.

Posted by
607 posts
Posted by
919 posts

If you get a chance, you may want to view the Smart Travels with Rudy Maxa episode on Carcassone and the Pyrenees. I recall it covers parts of the Languedoc beyond Carcassone. Looks like it's season 4, episode 5.