Scheduled a trip to the Dordogne.
In January 2000, made reservations for 5 nights at La Lanterne in Sarlat in mid-September. At their request, sent 100 euros through paypal as a deposit.
Contacted by them a few days ago. Asked us if we were still planning on coming. Said we intend to if its possible, but we are still in the wait and see mode.
Only then do they inform us that, some time ago, they made the decision to shut down their B & B entirely for the season. So they asked knowing that they could not accommodate us And they did not promptly notify us of the decision not to accommodate us.
I asked, politely, for a refund of our deposit. Their response--you can have a credit for your deposit against a future stay, but only in the next two years. And you should feel lucky that we are offering that.
I respond--you cancelled, not me. I respectfully insist that you refund my deposit.
They are now ignoring my e-mails.