Please sign in to post.

Journées du patrimoine (heritage days) 2023

Does anyone know when in 2023 the Journées du patrimoine (heritage days) will be? Is it always the third weekend of September? I was once fortunate enough to arrive near Sarlat on the first day (Saturday) of Journées du patrimoine. It was the most enchanting night I could imagine and my all time favorite night of the many nights we have spent in France over the years.

Posted by
621 posts

Thanks for your help. It looks like the third Saturday and Sunday in September 2023 will be the 16th and 17th. I understand the dates for this year, 2022 are the 17th and 18th. Are the dates actually the same for 2023?

Posted by
9685 posts

I don't think anyone except some employees in the Ministry of Culture know that yet, I'm afraid.

Posted by
15602 posts

It's not announced until they start planning, but for the last oh so many years, it's been the 3rd weekend in September. I didn't know about it until I told a friend that I was going to be in Paris over that weekend and she got so excited for me. Wonderful it was. That was in 2008. Every time September visits to Paris/France come up on the forum, I've checked and it's been the 3rd weekend.

Posted by
621 posts

Thanks Kim and Chani. I will just go with the supposition that it will be the third weekend in September. I'm planning a trip for next spring or fall, leaning towards fall and I'd like to be in the Dordogne for that weekend if possible. Prior to that I expect to be in Normandy and Brittany. Just trying to figure out the timing. The Dordogne is my favorite place on earth but, that said, I've never been to Normandy or Brittany.

Posted by
15602 posts

I've never been to the Dordogne so I can't help you there. In Paris, all the government buildings were opened to the public (many are only open those 2 days). Among them were the Hotel de Ville (city hall), Elysee Palace (official residence of the president), Luxembourg Palace (Senate building), Bourbon Palace (National Assembly/Lower House building) which are all elegant palaces of the 17th-18th centuries. Some had special exhibits related to that year's theme. Some foreign embassies were also open and had special exhibits. I don't recall any special events, though. Each palace was like seeing Versailles, all gilt and velvet.