Please sign in to post.

Itinerary question

Going to Paris in April 2025 and then London. We want to visit Bruge's as well as Normandy. My question is is it best to start in Bruges, (which means the flight from FL to Belgium) then Normandy and then go to Paris followed by London? Or a different route. I could also do London first and then do this portion afterwards but Paris is definitely the end of April beginning of may. Everything else can be worked around that. I appreciate the experts opinions on creating an itinerary and best way to get there.

Posted by
176 posts

It would help if we knew how you were planning to travel between Bruges, Normandy, and Paris. We did much the same trip some years ago, and we started in Paris, then rented a car and drove to Bruges, then went to Normandy (and went south from there on an extended trip through France. Since the trip lasted more than 3 weeks, we found it handy to lease a car. Peter

Posted by
759 posts

I'd say London first. Train to Bruges. (Via Lille or Brussels on Eurostar?) After Bruges, train to Lille; pick up a rental car and drive throughout Normandy, which is very easy to do; and drop your rental car off somewhere in Normandy such as Caen, Rouen, etc. Or Rennes if you make Mont St Michel/Brittany a final place to visit in the region, and take the train into Paris.

Dropping and returning a car in different locations in France isn't expensive, but if you were to rent in Belgium then drop off in France, it's quite expensive.

Or fly into Brussels to visit Bruges, and after Paris take Eurostar to London.

Posted by
7631 posts

It would help if we knew where you were flying from, but generally you will get better deals and sometimes non-stop flights to London, which you would probably never get if you were flying to Brussels. So I would start checking flights and see what you come up with, then decide. Do you plan on taking an open-jaw flight and doing your return flight from Paris?

Posted by
6713 posts

I like KD's plan. Keep the car in France (or return it in France if you drive into Belgium) to avoid the big dropoff fee. Open-jaw flights using Paris and London, or vice versa, will save you time and money. You might find a good fare using Amsterdam, which has good train service to/from Bruges.

What sequence to use, I think, depends on what fares and schedules you find. Here's a useful tool for exploring options, but you should double-check with the actual carriers and buy your tickets from them. And here's a good way to explore car rental options, and also to do the actual rental. Have fun putting this together.