Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help!

Hello! My husband and I are traveling to France for a wedding in the Luberon in late April and I need some advice on our itinerary.

Day 1-4: Fly into Nice, stay 4 nights. Hoping to explore Nice and take day trips to Villefranche, Cap de Ferrat, Eze, Menton, Antibes, Cannes, St Paul de Vence

Day 5-7: Train from Nice to Avignon, stay 2 nights, rent car. Explore Avignon, st remy, baux

Day 8-11: Drive to Luberon, wedding celebrations are over 4 nights, explore area during the day

Day 12: Train back to Nice, stay 1 night, fly home

We’re in our 30’s, active, like good food, lazy walks or bike rides, and don’t feel the need to cram in a lot of activities. I’m not set on Avignon and would be open to another location between Nice and Luberon!

Posted by
281 posts

Consider staying in the heart of provence/Luberon instead of Avignon. Still visit Avignon if you like. I've heard from others that Avignon isn't all that. Since I haven't been there, I don't know. We will be there in 7 weeks or so and will be taking a train to Avignon and renting a car and staying in Bonnieux. Then driving to Nice. We'll have a place to park a car, so that's fortunate. While you're in Nice, consider Grasse (for perfume factories...I heard men like all the mechanical stuff on the tour), and Eze (which I love).

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much! We’re going to the Luberon for 4 nights/5 days for the wedding so I was hoping to stay somewhere else between Nice and the area. But if you think we should tack on 2 more nights there, we could! I’ve also heard to skip Avignon and go to st remy, baux, or aix en Provence but wanted to see what other travelers thought! We will also check out Grasse from your suggestion!

Posted by
6916 posts

Since you need a car in Provence and especially the Luberon, I would rent it in Nice and drive to Provence. It will be faster, especially on the way back to Nice.
If car rental is expensive on your dates, the middle ground would be to rent in Avignon and return the car in Nice.

My alternative suggestion between Nice and the Luberon would be the Verdon gorge. Moustiers Sainte Marie is lovely, and the area is very scenic.

Posted by
4 posts

Avignon is a nice day trip, but staying in a village is much more "French." Bonnieux is small and quaint but very authentic Provence, with easy access to hiking, biking, and market-hunting. Lourmarin is another beautiful village in the hills. If you want to stay in a larger town, Aix is the way to go.

Posted by
886 posts

Staying in a smaller village versus Avignon or Arles is the way to go. The only bigger town I’d consider would be Aix. Avignon is a total drag, I wouldn’t even bother visiting honestly, much less stay there. Traffic in and out of town stinks too. Pont du Garde would be worth the drive, but I would stop somewhere more interesting for lunch.

Arles is a more interesting day trip. The Roman amphitheater and museum are both worthwhile, and the town itself was enjoyable to explore.

Having a car around here is gold, and the driving is pretty easy. Set yourself in a nice base for the week and explore at your leisure. Make a note of market days and try to visit a few, they’re amazing.