Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help

Hi. Myself, my husband fmy 2 daughters (16 & 18) will be flying into Paris. I found a great flight price departing from Milan. We can do 12 or 14 days -- my travel/flight days from Los Angeles not included. We've never been to Europe before and I want to see if my itinerary is too ambitious and if anyone has any itinerary ideas. I'm open to anything; but would like hear anyone's thoughts on great places for teens.

My thought is this:

Fly/travel
Paris (4 nights)
Munich (3 nights)
Salzburg (2 nights)
Innsbruck (1 night)
Venice (2 or 3 nights)
Milan (1 night)
fly/travel

thanks for your help

Posted by
118 posts

I would say it is very busy schedule - have you factored in travel time getting to airports/train stations, including the wait times at these?

Posted by
776 posts

Agree with Michael. One of the big flaws in first trip planning is trying to do too much and spending way too much time in travel. Paris is easily worth a week as is Venice. Both are good bases for easy day trips without schlepping luggage. Any reason for not doing Vienna instead of Munich, Salzburg and Innsbruck?

Posted by
4891 posts

It is an ambitious trip, but I've seen worse. I think you would really benefit by ditching the 1 night in Innsbruck and adding that day to Paris. That first day will pretty much be a write off - a jetlag induced blur. And even a week in Paris isn't enough time to see everything. And make your Venice stop 3 nights, not 2. But this is YOUR trip. If Munich and Salzburg interest you more than Vienna, then you should absolutely follow your heart.

Posted by
158 posts

I'd skip Salzburg and do 2 nights in Innsbruck - then you'll have one full day there there, and travel days on either side of the stop. Keep 3 nights in Venice so you have two full days.

Will you be flying from Paris to Munich and doing trains for the rest? It seems possible with 14 days.

What do you want to see in each city? You could have everyone list out one thing they really want to see, then check the open dates/times for those activities to plan a high level itinerary. I liked having one (or maybe 2) planned activity a day and the rest time to see whatever we came across.

For trains https://www.rome2rio.com/ helped me plan routes.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks CJean. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I'm looking for responses that are helpful and give suggestions. I figured I was too ambitious and I do know it's the biggest mistake people can make, so that's why I'm asking for help. My kids really wanted to see Venice, so that's why I ventured down that way.

For some reason, I'm not that into Paris. The 4 nights was for a jet lag day, because I just want to see a few things and leave.

Posted by
16 posts

Btw, it would be late June, and nobody in the family will tell me what they want to see. The family is relying on me and I'm getting frustrated. They think it will all be "cool".

Alternatively, I could fly in and out of Milan and go up to Austria, Germany and back to Milan.

Fly
Milan/como (2)
Venice (3)
Salzburg (2)
Munich (3)
Innsbruck (2)
Milan (1)
fly

Is this better?

Posted by
4891 posts

Fly Milan/como (2) Venice (3) Salzburg (2) Munich (3) Innsbruck (2)
Milan (1) fly

How about open jaw into Milan and out of Munich, to avoid backtracking and eliminating one hotel change and train ride?

Milan/Lake Como, Venice, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Munich. Add your extra day wherever you like.

Posted by
158 posts

Maybe list out some top things from Trip Advisor for each city so you have options for each day? Or pick out of a hat and see if that makes them want to jump in and decide. :)

If you're planning, and you don't want to see Paris that much, I'd go with your new itinerary.

Posted by
16 posts

Munich is super expensive to fly out of. :( Not an option.

My original idea of London, Paris, Amsterdam may be the thing.

But my kids got excited with seeing Venice. My hubs refuses to go south into the rest of italy that time of year due to heat and crowds. We understand venice will be crowded too, but are willing to deal.

Posted by
473 posts

In Venice you really need 3 nights at least. We were there last year and loved it it. No place like it in the world. If you are there during the week you will avoid the cruise crowds. We stayed in the dorsodura area. Very much like a neighborhood. Happy planning

Posted by
27188 posts

It will, indeed, all be cool. I travel without an itinerary laid out, but I do more or less know what are the sights in each city that may appeal most to me. I don't necessarily get to all of them, but it's important to have at least a sketchy idea since what you want to see may be closed one day a week (or perhaps two days if you hit an unlucky holiday).

I think Venice will be a hit as long as you plan plenty of wandering around time so you aren't moving shoulder-to-shoulder with all the other visitors. And keep in mind that Venice is trickier than other places in Italy for finding non-tourist-trap food.

Austria is a great place for doing some high-altitude walking if you can find the time. There are village-to-village walks that could work for your group. Altitude is a wonderful thing if you get caught in a heatwave.

Posted by
380 posts

I understand it's frustrating and difficult when travel partners won't do any of the planning. I've been to all the places you're considering except Salzburg -- many of them first when I was 23, and a lot of them more recently (now in my 50s). I second the recommendation to follow your heart ... and head! Without letting your mind get muddled by the swirling options before you, ask yourself: What are the top 3 or 4 things that you love to do normally, whether on vacation in U.S. or having a leisurely weekend? For example, if it's eating/finding great food, exploring, and art-related endeavors, then I'd say definitely go to/spend at least 4 or 5 days in Paris (I've been more than 15 times and still haven't done everything I want). If it's hiking, then include Austrian spot where you can daytrip to great hikes. If you/daughters are into fashion or shopping, then fashion show in Paris. I could go on, but you get the idea. Given that you'll be there in peak summer season, I strongly suggest you build in at least a couple days in a small town, where you can relax and get away from crowds.Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Good luck!