Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

Hi,

My family and I ( 2 adults and kids, 15 and 9) will be travelling to paris this April, We will be reaching Paris around 2 and hope to take a train to Strasbourg that evening. After spending about 2.5 days there, we will return to Paris and travel back on April 25. I am thinking one day of strasbourg site seeing and one day of Colmar or surrounding areas. Does this sound feasible? Also, we have 3 days in Paris. Are there suitable trains from Colmar to Strasbourg, we are not looking to rent a car.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
5226 posts

Yes, there are multiple trains traveling that route daily.
You can check train schedules here: Oui.SNCF

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
12172 posts

When I book a train ticket, I just go to the website and enter my plan. The site will show you a handful of trains. I look for duration because some trains make a lot more stops than others, some you need to get off one train and board another. If you choose the shortest duration it will also be the easiest (but can cost more). The site gives you the option to look at earlier or later trains. I'd scroll each way just to see if you're missing a better opportunity that's not shown on the first list.

If you do decide to rent a car, don't search mid-day. Most rental agencies - even in larger cities - close for a long lunch hour. A search won't show availability at, say, noon but will show availability at 10 AM or 2 PM. Agency hours are often something similar 7 - 11 then 1 to 6.

Posted by
107 posts

You might want to consider basing in Strasbourg and doing a daytrip via train to Colmar. That'll be less time spent on packing up and moving hotels.

My wife and I did a Christmas Market tour of nearby villages (including Colmar) with Marc at Vinoroute (http://www.vinoroute.fr/en). He is great and can probably customize something for your family.

As a family we stayed at the Hotel Cathédrale. You could not be more centrally located. Loved it. When my wife and I went back, we stayed at the Hôtel Gutenberg. I can recommend both of them.

Enjoy!

Posted by
70 posts

Thank you all for your responses. We do plan to stay at Strasbourg and do a day trip to Colmar and maybe another town close by.
Given the present strikes, although tapering off, should i anticipate anything during my trip(april end) along with Brexit and EU issues. Thanks!