Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

For months now I've been planning a trip to Europe for September 2016 and I am rethinking my original plan and need some feedback. We'll have 11 full nights in Europe and my original plan was to stay a 3 nights in Paris, 2 nights in Florence, 3 nights in Rome and 3 nights in Sorrento. The hassle of visiting the Amalfi Coast is weighing on me and I'm thinking of changing my plans.

I visited Paris in 2012 though it was a day visit from London and I had the best time there and wonderful memories my only regret is not seeing the Eiffel Tower at night which would be one of the only reasons to go back. So I'm thinking of giving up those nights to visit Munich & Salzburg then over to Rome & Florence then ending the trip in Nice, France seemingly coming back to the U.S. after a few nights of relaxing in the French Rivera seems reasonable. What are your thoughts....is Munich/Salzburg worth giving up Paris at night (I'd like to visit someplace new) and is Nice worth giving up a visit to The Amalfi Coast? I'd love to hear your thoughts an ideas.

Thanks so much.

Posted by
3551 posts

Munich and salzburgbare nice but ple hen compared to your other destinations. Betw trvl dys and city visit 11 nights is not that much for these blockbuster cities u wih to visit. Imo stay with paris, nice, florence and rome. Or better yet pick 3 cities only there is alot to see and do in your selection.

Posted by
1743 posts

There is so much more to see in Paris than you could have seen on a day trip, and not just seeing the Eiffel Tower at night. Read a guide book and consider all the things you could do with a few full days there before you decide to give up on it.

That said, Munich and Salzburg are also wonderful places well worth a visit. But Munich, Salzburg, Florence, Rome, and Nice are about two destinations too many for an 11-night trip.

Why not simply do Florence and Rome plus somewhere on the coast, maybe Cinque Terre or Nice? Or Paris and Rome and the coast?

Here's what I'd think about before I'd make a final decision:

1. What destination from the options you are considering is at the top of your wish list?
  2. What other destination near the top of your list would pair well with #1?
  3. What relaxing place would be easy to get to from #2?

There you have a three-destination vacation, perfect for 11 nights. Maybe Rome, Florence, and Cinque Terre?

Posted by
388 posts

I agree with JS. Less is more. When you factor in transportation time getting to these places, you will be a little more limited on how much you can see and do. Remember that 2 nights equates to 1 full day not including transportation time. Based on what you have so for is 11 nights which is only 10 days: 2 days in Paris, 1 day in Florence, 2 days in Rome, and 2 days in Sorrento. Then a travel day getting from Paris to Florence, 1 hours getting to Rome, 2.5 hours getting to Sorrento, plus anything else if you come back to Rome to fly home.

I would definitely add an extra day to Paris if you can. You've only scratched the surface on your last visit. As for the Amalfi coast, only do it if you can allow 2-3 full days plus transportation getting to and from. Otherwise, I would skip it and add a day or two in Tuscany somewhere or somewhere near Paris.

Maximize your time by taking a flight from Paris to Italy. Look on www.skyscanner.com.

I hope this helps some.

Posted by
32201 posts

With only a very short 11 days, I would also recommend skipping some of the places on your list as you simply don't have time. The travel segments you mentioned are not simple as they are quite a distance from each other; some will take the better part of a day to accomplish.

Unless you want to spend the majority of your time looking at Europe through the windows of a train, my suggestion would be to limit your trip this time to Florence, Rome and the Amalfi coast. Travel times between those are all easy, so you'll be able to minimize your travel times and maximize your sightseeing times.

Posted by
7175 posts

Munich - Salzburg - Rome - Florence - Nice
All in 11 days ?? hhhmmmmm ...
Given your desire for Florence and Rome, then it is Nice that would be a hassle, and not the Amalfi Coast.

Munich (2 nights)
Salzburg (1 night)
Night Train (1 night)
Florence (1 or 2 nights)
Rome (2 nights)
Amalfi Coast (2 or 3 nights)
Depart from Naples

Posted by
254 posts

Paris is my favorite city, but the first time I went I didn't even realize it. I think if you feel drawn to go back for any reason (and night views of Eiffel Tower is a good reason) you should keep that as part of your plan. Go to Paris!!! See the Eiffel Tower at night, cruise the Seine, go to Saint Chappelle. Why don't you just shorten it to 2 nights?

Nice is not worth any of your time on an 11 day trip.

The Amalfi Coast can be done in a day, based in Rome.

I would arrive Paris, go to Munich, Salzburg, Florence and Rome (with day touring Amalfi Coast).