Please sign in to post.

Itinerary critique, please

Hi, first time going to France, but am familiar with Europe. I will have 15 nights May, 2022.
May 4, arrive CDG, train to Amboise for 3 nights. Will train back to Tours and pick up a car next day.
May 7, drive to Beaune for 3 nights. Train to Dijon day trip.
May 10, drive to Colmar for 4 nights. Plan to drive the villages, Kayserberg, Eguisheim, etc. Return car on last day.
May 14, train to Paris for 5 nights. Husband thinks it is too long in Paris, but we may never get back, and I am part French, so...

Posted by
10222 posts

It's really only 3.5 days in Paris. The first night is after checking out of your hotel, returning the car, taking the train, and settling into a new hotel. The last night is followed by a flight. So your Paris time is actually very short.

Posted by
179 posts

Looks great. Definitely not to much time in Paris. Lots to do and see there.

Posted by
1234 posts

Bets, I am returning the car in Colmar on May 13. Early train to Paris May 14. Leaving May 19.

Posted by
10222 posts

4.5, still not too long. Hopefully, your husband will find it's not long enough once he has a taste of Paris, and you'll return.

Posted by
14015 posts

I'll add my voice to the others to say your time in Paris is definitely not too long! I would be happy with your entire 15 nights in Paris but I realize you want to see other areas of France, lol.

Does your husband have any particular interests? Maybe we can make suggestions that would get him excited about your time there.

Posted by
6544 posts

This looks good. Between Amboise and Beaune (about 4 hours without stops) you could visit Auxerre, Vezelay, and/or Semour-en-Auxois, all attractive and interesting towns close to your fastest route. That would make it a full day.

The whole thing is pretty fast-paced, but it gives you a good taste of several different parts of France, and certainly not too much time in Paris.