Please sign in to post.

Itinerary check

Hello, I'm planning a solo trip to France in late May to early June (15 nights) and want a sanity check on the Normandy portion of my trip. I arrive at CDG and plan to spend the first 5 nights using Bayeux as a base to see Honfleur, the D-Day sights (small group tour), Bayeux itself, Caen (mainly the WWII museum), and Mont St Michel. I'll have a car and know that Honfleur and MSM are a fair distance away, but I'm really reluctant to change hotels in the region. Is Bayeux a good base? Is my plan completely crazy? I'm looking for a smaller town feel but still want some restaurant options and am just worried 5 nights here might be too much.

For reference, I'll head to Amboise for 3 nights, Disneyland Paris for 2 nights, then 5 nights in Paris before flying home (I have been to Paris once before).

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Posted by
2922 posts

You can take a direct train from the Paris St Lazare station to Bayeux (2h 30m) and rent a car in Bayeux. According to Google maps Honfleur is about 1h 30m from Bayeux and Mont St-Michel is about 2h. I say Bayeux is the perfect place.

Posted by
3150 posts

I agree that Bayeux is a great place as a base for what you have planned. I’d also advise visiting the Mulberry Harbor and WWII museum in Arromanches. For a wonderful dining experience in Bayeux, splurge on dinner at La Rapière. I stayed at the Château de Bellefontaine and enjoyed my stay very much. Nice rooms, not in the town center, free parking, easy to travel to your destinations.

Posted by
2300 posts

Bayeux is a great base. I wouldn’t recommend renting a car at the airport and driving after a transatlantic flight. Consider taking the train to Bayeux. The next day, take the train to Caen and rent the car there at the train station. There is only one car rental place in Bayeux, and it’s out of a gas station in the outskirts of town with limited hours.

Keep in mind that it will probably be 6+ hours from your arrival at CDG to arrival in Bayeux once you take into consideration immigration, baggage claim, RER into Paris, then train to Bayeux.

Posted by
6429 posts

I agree about not driving after an overnight flight. Take the train to Bayeux. A taxi from CDG to Gare St-Lazare will be easier but cost you about 40 euros more.

I haven't been to MSM in many years, but many posters here (and our host) suggest spending a night there if you can, right on the Mont. That allows you to experience the less crowded place after the day-trippers are gone and before they arrive. Maybe you could spend that MSM night after Bayeux, then head to Amboise from there.

Finally, as you probably know, lots of people will be in Normandy for the June 6 anniversary of D-Day. While it's not a "big" anniversary it will still draw more people than at other times of year. So get your hotel and car lined up as soon as you can.

Posted by
1357 posts

While you're visiting Arromanches you might also enjoy the Germain gun battery complex just to the west at Longues-sur-Mer. MSM is beautifully lit at night and a great sight to behold from the mainland. Amboise and nearby chateaux are also enjoyable.