Please sign in to post.

Itinerary

This is our first time in France and are spendings 2 weeks there. We are flying in to Paris and thinking of picking up a car at the airport and driving to Giverny for the day and sleeping in Rouen for two nights. On day 3 drive to Honfleur and Caen for the day and sleeping in Bayeux for two nights, visit the beaches from there. In the morning drive to Mont saint Michel and spend the night. Two nights in Loire valley then 6 nights in Paris with a day trip to Versailles.
Any advice or suggestions on our planned route.

Posted by
6733 posts

One strong suggestion: don't fly half-way around the world, arrive exhausted, jump in an unfamiliar car, and drive off in a foreign country. That's a great way to get in a serious accident.

A better alternative would be to land, clear airport formalities, then take public transportation (in this case, via train) to your destination. Get a good night's sleep on your arrival date, wake up the next morning (which is actually the first day of your time in Europe, as opposed to the process of getting there), you'll feel a lot more human and will be in better shape to drive (and live to tell about it).

Posted by
3 posts

We did something similar, in reverse, and started with the time in Paris, then trained to (in our case Reims, but you could go to Rouen) and picked up a car at the station (pre-booked) for the rest of the trip. As is the case here, the daily car rental rate can be much less if you aren't picking it up at the airport. Rouen is no fun to drive through or in, but maybe the roadworks are done. La Courrone, the Rouen Cathedral, the Joan of Arc are all walkable once you find a parking spot, and unless you are planning a photographic survey of the Cathedral, or have some other unique interest, or go on market day perhaps(?), a half-day and evening might be all you need. Staying at Giverny is a worthwhile alternative. The evenings are uncrowded, with some relaxing restaurants, and in the morning you can beat the bus and cruise boat crowds to Monet's garden (get tickets ahead). There's a private art gallery perhaps a hundred and fifty yards up the road from the garden that rents a couple of upstairs suites. We actually left from Giverny after two nights to catch our flight home.

The rest of your trip sounds great and I wish you the best.

Posted by
591 posts

Two nights equals one day at a location. The D-day sites are pretty spread out (if that's what you want to see, not an actual day on the beach) so if you can add an extra day to your trip I suggest three nights in Bayeux.

Posted by
12172 posts

If you're arriving early, you can train to Giverny. See the garden, then train to Rouen. One day (two nights) in Rouen is enough to see the extensive medieval city center. Two nights will help you get on schedule.

Pick up a car the morning you leave Rouen, driving to Honfleur and Caen won't take long. I skipped Honfleur because I planned on port towns in Brittany. I'd suggest sleeping in Caen, there's more to see and do there - and you can book a D-Day tour from there. I personally like the Bayeux tapestry; other than that Bayeux is just a nice little town made rich by the D-day tourist traffic.

It takes about an hour and a half to get to Mont Saint Michel. Consider seeing the place for a half day then stay the night in Cancale, St. Malo or Dinan to see a corner of Brittany.

On the way to Loire, I stopped at Fontevraud Abbey and Chinon (one night in Chinon). I also went to Villandry gardens on the way to Amboise. Staying in Amboise (two nights) was fairly convenient. I think another night through this area would be good to give you two full days.

Driving back to Paris from Amboise. I'd suggest a day stop at Chartres.

After that the rest of your time in Paris, and day trip to Versailles, is fine.