Please sign in to post.

Itinerary

Hello!
My husband and I are planning a trip to France in June-July. I have come up with an itinerary that I know is aggressive in the time we have, but I hope doable. Here is what we are thinking, and I would appreciate some feedback.

Arrive in Paris, train directly to Bayeux
2 nights in Normandy Then rent a car, but not sure where...Caen? Nothing comes up as available on Auto Europe, maybe too early?
1 night on Mt. St. Michele
Drive to Amboise in our theoretical car. Stay for 2 nights
Drop off theoretical car in...where exactly? maybe Tours?
Train to Paris
4 nights in Paris.

I cannot crack the car rental car situation. I put in Caen for our pick up location, and Tours for our drop off, but there are no results.
Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Posted by
7314 posts

Hi, I’m no help with your car rental question because we’ve always just taken trains in France, but I think your days are allocated well. I wouldn’t change your itinerary.

Since this is directly on your driving route heading south to Amboise/Tours, try to time your lunch for a stop in Le Mans. There’s a wonderful medieval center! Here’s a site that will give you an idea of what I also saw when I stayed there overnight. Enlarge the photo of the walls, so you can see the amazing designs that were created on the Roman walls.

https://maryannesfrance.com/things-to-do/towns-cities/medieval-le-mans-a-plantagenet-city/

Posted by
1824 posts

Why don't you try renting directly from the rental companies?

In Caen, Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Sixt, Budget, Alamo Thrifty, are presents

I tried Sixt and Hertz. They both have cars available for June/July 2024 with pickup in Caen and drop off in Tours. (I'll let you try the others yourself)

Your problem with Auto Europe could be that you enter dates on Saturday or Sunday or on public holidays during which certain provincial agencies such as Caen or Tours may be closed

Posted by
82 posts

I swear I do not know what I'm doing wrong! I went to Sixt, put in the dates, Caen as the pick up, Tours as the drop off, and nothing. Could you possibly post your link? Thanks!!!

Posted by
27166 posts

A lot of French car-rental spots close for lunch. Could you have specified a mid-day pick-up time?

Posted by
6102 posts

Make sure the pick up/drop times are within the agencies open hours

They close by noon-1on Saturday
Closed Sunday
Closed week mid day 12-4 ish

Or something like that

You might be too early for AutoEurope but you can call them toll free
They are very helpful

Posted by
82 posts

Thanks to all of you who pointed out that these rental agencies might have limited hours. Once I changed my search, I had my choice of cars! I guess I could not accept the Sunday closures--no wonder...it totally screws up my itinerary. Now I need a plan B. I hate to steal a night from Paris.... do you think 3 nights there for newbies is sufficient?

Posted by
7314 posts

Other than San Michele, we have been to those places just using trains. There’s mini-van tours at both Normandy for WWII sites and also for chateau sites in the Loire Valley, if that would help avoid your rental day issue. I don’t think you will want to reduce your time in Paris.

Posted by
13968 posts

I agree with Jean. I would not reduce the nights in Paris - 4 nights just gives you 3 full days.

Can you run your itinerary in the other direction so you don't have a car rental or drop off on a Sunday? Or since you are looking for next summer can you slip your flight dates....or are your vacation dates dependent on work etc?

Is Mont Saint-Michel a must? I know many love it but it's not my favorite even with the overnight there. Normandy IS a favorite, lol....so interesting!

Posted by
874 posts

What a great trip….have done this twice…….landed in Paris, trained to Caen, picked up our car and drove it to Bayeux……..which is a delightful town. We stayed at Hotel Churchill in Bayeux…….MSM is so worth it once…….we stayed on the island for a night and will never forget it. The drive to Amboise was lovely…….stay at Hotel Les Manior Les Minimes……..walk through this lovely town at night for dinner. See Chenonceau (our favorite), Cheverny, Azzazy Le Rideau, Villandry (incredible gardens), Chambord and Clos DeLuce…….give yourself time to see these incredible chateaus!!!! We drove to Paris, dropped the car off and stayed 5 nights in our very favorite city. Have a wonderful time!

Posted by
6527 posts

You might want to consider driving from Amboise to Orly Airport just south of Paris, where you're more likely to be able to drop off the car on a Sunday. Nonstop it would be about 3+ hours. Your route could include Blois, Orleans, and/or Chartres, all worthwhile stops with things to see.

Posted by
1824 posts

If you want to stick to your initial plan, know that with Hertz at the Tours train station, and according to the reviews on Google Maps (a review posted in June 2022) you can return the car on a Sunday or outside opening hours by going to the Hotel Kyriad.

And here are the messages with the Hertz Tours office:

“Can I drop off a car on Sunday?”

"Hello. Yes! we have a key box for return. You can call us to organize the return"

I tried booking a rental car on their website with a drop-off on Sunday, it's possible.

https://www.hertz.fr/rentacar/reservation/

Contact them if you are interested and if you want confirmation.

Hertz Tours

+33 24 775 5000