Please sign in to post.

Italy and France May, 2015

My husband and I are flying into Milan and then visiting Venice. I think the best way to get there is by train.
We then want to go to Lake Como. Should we rent a car or take the train?
We then want to take a train from Milan to Paris
We next want to go to Normandy.
Suggestions for scenic, beautiful places to stay in Normandy please?
Should be rent a car in Paris to drive to Normandy where we'd like to spend about 4 days?
Also, clean inexpensive places to stay in Paris.

thank you so much!!

Posted by
1056 posts

Your plans are directionally incorrect. A better use of your travel time would be to fly into Venice, then train to Milan and visit Lake Como from Milan, so that you do not travel across Italy twice. There are good train connections from Venice to Milan and from Milan to Lake Como. I think your plan to rent a car to travel from Paris to Normandy is wise. A good place to base yourself while visiting Normandy is Bayeau, which will also afford you the possibility of seeing the Bayeau tapestry, which is remarkable. I would also consider hiring a guide for the day when visiting the Normandy battlefields, as it will add tremendously to your appreciation of the historical details.

Posted by
359 posts

You will definitely need a car in Normandy. It's beautiful there. Stay in the town of Bayeux. Very well located and a beautiful town. I recommend Hotel Le Bayeux. We stayed there this past June and loved it.

Posted by
605 posts

For what it is worth, in May 2005 my wife and I did a 16-day/15-night trip from Paris(2)-Beaune(2)-Annecy(2)-Arles(2)-Nice(1)-Cinque Terre(4)-Venice(2). We were able to cover a lot of ground without a car and without feeling worn out. It was the best trip I've taken so far. May weather was great and it only felt crowded in Venice.

-Matt