Please sign in to post.

In search of cosy hotel for Paris Christmas, post or pre RS tour 2016

I am considering a RS Paris tour next Christmas, but this year they either end on 12/24 or start on 12/26. I want to be in a hotel over Christmas either a few days before or a few days after those tours and I would love for the hotel to have a comfortable, cosy lounge/lobby area - I don't want to be squirreled away in my room alone, but able to spend time in a welcoming comfortable "public" (meaning for the hotel guests) space. I envision those days before/after the tour on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, when less is open and the city is quieter, to be relaxation time with more hours spent in the hotel itself and not as much time out touring on my own. (A fireplace would be so sensational of course!) The hotels that the tour has used look great, but they don't seem to have this cosy lobby space--understandably, as during the tour days you are out all day and evening and don't need this lobby amenity. Any suggestions for such a hotel? Thank you! Ann.

Posted by
11507 posts

Ann.. without a budget range ( in euros please) its pretty hard to know what to suggest.. I know a lovely hotel in Paris.. I have not stayed there because its too pricey for me, but have stayed on same street and loved the area.. Hotel Aubusson .. has a nice lobby , lobby bar and a fireplace . It as though.. pricey choice.

If you are on a tight budget.. maybe consider finding a nice hostel.. They include breakfast often ( a rarity for most hotels in Paris) .. and have a communal dining room and a kitchen often.. so easy to meet and chat with folks. Hostels are not just for young folks either.. so you will find an interesting variety of people at them, from 18-90.. Also.. there are private rooms in many hostels.. no need to worry about sleeping in a dorm and sharing a bathroom.

Posted by
3691 posts

Budget? By cozy, do you mean small or warm and welcoming? Hotel De Lutèce, Hotel d'Aubusson and Relais Christine have lovely common areas each with a fireplace. The latter two are relatively pricey but very nice, luxury properties. I have never stayed at the Hotel De Lutèce but I have seen the property and it is not as costly as the other two.

Posted by
115 posts

Thanks for your posts Pat and JHK. The Hotel de Lutece is a possibility at about 175€. That's within my budget. The Aubusson and Relais Christine are too expensive, at over 300€ a night, though look wonderful! When I use the term "cosy" I mean the feeling of welcoming, hospitality, warmth and comfort, not size. Hopefully there will be a few other suggestions too so that I have several options to pursue. Plus I'll keep peeling the onion myself. Any thoughts on the latest I could wait to safely make a reservation given it will be Christmastime? Ann.

Posted by
9420 posts

I was going to recommend Hotel de Lutèce, which JHK mentioned. We've stayed there and love it. Very cozy, charming lobby with a fireplace and nice fire going. It does serve breakfast at an additional cost. They don't have a bar or restaurant though. It's located in my favorite neighborhood in Paris, Ile St Louis, which is also very charming with many restaurants and cafés.

Posted by
3691 posts

Now that I have a better sense of your budget, I have two more suggestions for you: Le Relais Montmartre and Hotel du Haut Marais. Le Relais Montmarte may be around 180 euros per night and while I like the location, you may find it too far out from the center. The HdHM owners are nice. The place is clean and feels like you are in someone's home and I am not a fan of that. But, I am wondering if it might suit for you because my take is that you are looking for a place with a homey feel. Also, at HdHM, they have a cat in their lobby -- somehow I missed that when reading reviews and my husband is extremely allergic to cats and I am not a pet person, which made it a very poor choice for us. There is a sitting area with the aforementioned cat but you would need to go out of the hotel for meals other than breakfast. For reservations around Christmas, I would reserve by the end of June because well priced places sell out early.

Posted by
115 posts

Thanks for the "ditto" on Hotel de Lutece Susan! JHK -- I will check these other two out as well. To me, it would be a big asset to have a cat or dog on premises, so I am glad to know about the cat even though it wasn't right for you! Ann.