Please sign in to post.

In Paris now

We usually have a detailed itinerary and all our tickets pre- bought but boy have I slipped up this time or it all the changes from Covid. Paris is PACKED and perhaps explains some of our difficulties. The Crypt website says 10 euros but when I try to buy they say 29. They only release tickets a week in advance and are 90% sold out on Monday. I understood the Musee Carnavelet to be free, website say free, then another area 9 euros. I have failed to pre- buy Picasso Musee but did manage to sneak in. Am also shut out of Arts and Mietrers Museum. I guess I was under the impression that pre-buying was not need for some sights. Just a warning for all coming! On a side note weather is wonderful, as is Paris!

Posted by
13952 posts

At none of those should you need an advanced ticket.

The Crypt you should be able to walk up. The charge I think is for the Virtual Reality display at the beginning? It does look like there is an exhibition that starts tomorrow but I would just go and not buy online for this.
(And you do mean the Archeological Crypt under Notre Dame and not the Catacombs, right?)

Carnavalet is free. They are closed on Mondays. If there is a special exhibition there is a charge but there is plenty to see in the free collection part. No timed entry needed. Just go.

Arts and Metiers should not be sold out either. There is a charge to enter but you should be able to buy at the door.

Posted by
657 posts

Ellen,
You might consider the Cluny Museum....open Tues through Sun, 9:30 to 6:15, 12 euros per adult. We did not reserve last May, and I don't believe you need to reserve an entrance time. It's one of my favorite museums, not just in Paris, but out of many I have visited throughout Europe. Not too far from Jardins de Luxembourg and walking distance from the Musee d'Orsay. Have a great time in Paris!

Posted by
775 posts

If Paris is truly as packed as you say, you might consider a place like Malmaison, just outside central Paris, short bus ride. Home of Josephine, wife of Napoleon. https://www.visitparisregion.com/en/chateau-de-malmaison

There are many museums that don't attract the crowds you may be finding - something like Guimet for Asian Art, Musee du Quai Branley - anthropology, Nissim de Camonodo, Musée Jacquemart-André. I've found all of those almost empty even in high season.

Posted by
9420 posts

I second Nissim de Camondo. Love it.

Posted by
6905 posts

Arts et Métiers is definitely a "walk-up" place and it's never busy. I do not even think you can buy advance tickets at the moment according to the museum's webpage, hence the impression that you are "shut out".

Posted by
8063 posts

The last time we went to the Carnavalet they required advanced tickets; the tickets were free but they were required to be booked in advance. Things change and COVID disrupted everything so always wise now to check with the official web site.

The Crypt is never 29 but that sounds about right for ;the VR experience Eternelle Notre Dame which IMHO is a must see -- 45 minutes sgtroll through 12th century Paris as Notre Dame is being built. Really quite wonderful.

Louvre may book up in advance. We had to change our goals for Hotel de la Marine as it was booked up when we wanted to go -- so good to check ahead .

I have never seen the Nissim Comandor the Asian Museum nearby crowded. And have always been able to just walk into the Petit Palais - you can buy special exhibit tickets inside if desired. (same with Carnavalet except entrance tickets should be booked ahead)

Posted by
115 posts

I've noticed an increased need for advance tickets in the past year or so in other major cities. Some places that I expected to be able to walk up to and buy tickets required purchase a week or more in advance.

Posted by
9420 posts

In October 2021 the Carnavalet did not require advance tickets. Tickets were only required during the height of covid.

Posted by
13952 posts

Susan, yes, that was my experience as well in April 2022 at Carnavalet. No timed entry. Free admission unless you wanted to add on a special exhibition. In the past right after things opened up after Covid and the museum reopened after the reno you needed a timed entry and cued in chutes in the courtyard.

Posted by
352 posts

Update. I followed Pam advice and showed up at the Crypt ( 9 euros),Carnavelet,(free) and Arts in Mieters had no problem.

Posted by
775 posts

Good to hear! I was in Paris almost exactly to the day a year ago and didn't find the problems with access you initially thought were prevalent, so I was surprised. Very glad to hear that things are as I experienced last year and not a "new normal"!

In the past year or so, I have found some websites and advice in various places around the globe to still be quite confusing. Some still have Covid and emerging-from-Covid rules stated when access is truly not difficult and advance tickets and timed admittance no longer needed. That makes it hard to plan at times!

Enjoy your stay!!

Posted by
13952 posts

Oh yea! I am so glad you got in to those 3 museums! All 3 are really interesting and all 3 very, very different!