Please sign in to post.

Hotel prices

We are booked for a RS tour that ends in Paris Sept./2015 at the Apollinaires hotel and wanted to stay for an extra couple of days afterwards. It looks like they raise their prices buy $100 euros per night for that time of year. Is this typical for other hotels also? I thought this was considered low season.

Posted by
4132 posts

I can't speak to Apollinaires in particular, but September is convention season in Paris, one of the busiest times of the year.

Shop around if you like and see what you find.

Posted by
4140 posts

The conventions Adam refers to are trade shows and fashion shows and events . Paris gets really tight then , and even now , looking around on behalf of some friends , many hotels are turning up booked . I would move quickly , if I were you . I've just booked for late October and found things were still fairly busy even then .

Posted by
6487 posts

September may be the most expensive month for Paris lodgings, except maybe for holiday weekends and such. It's the trade shows.

After your tour you'll be savvy enough France travelers to move to another, lower-priced hotel if you want. Weigh the savings against the hassle of moving. Try booking.com to find an alternative in the same neighborhood, or consider a different neighborhood for a different experience.

Posted by
11507 posts

Septmember is totally high season for hotels.. august is cheaper.. lol

Try Hotel Eugenie.. or Hotel Diana.. if you can get rooms for busy season( even now) book .. both clean hotels in excellent central locations. I did one RS tour about 6 years ago.. and changed hotels after tour.. RS gets good rates..but the after tour rate was more then I was willing to pay.

I have hundreds of days in Paris and no way would I personally pay more then 120 or so a night.. I have paid less.. but ,, 120 should get you a clean room in a central location with ac.. if booked well in advance, rooms will be small how ever. which is normal for Europe.

. Good luck.

Posted by
32701 posts

Ask the hotel directly what they would charge to stay on. They are used to people extending beyond the tour dates, and you may come up trumps. Won't know if you don't ask.

And September is the tightest month in the year in Paris...

Posted by
4037 posts

You can also ask the Rick Steves office if it can book extra days for you.

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick Steves is not a standard travel agency and our office does not make any personal bookings for tour members or other travelers. When requesting the hotel's best-price offer by email (or if they have a comment field in their online booking system), do indicate that you are a Rick Steves Tour member and give the tour dates. It may result in a discount over published rates. September is the busiest month for our tours and also high for independent travelers.