Please sign in to post.

Hotel or Apt in Paris for 3 people, late May 2016 - Reccomendations?

Hi all-
I'm traveling to Paris arriving on May 30th, staying for 3 nights, on a grad school trip. there are three women traveling. I'm looking for either a hotel or apartment that will accomodate three of us women in our 30's and 40's. I've been to Paris before and stayed on Ile-de-St. Louis, which I loved. It seems like the hotels there are smaller though and we were hoping to stay in one room rather than two.

I'm open to the Marais or other areas, just not sure where and would love to hear any ideas. Thanks!
-Michele

Posted by
3691 posts

What is your budget per night for this triple room?

Posted by
11315 posts

I would do a search at Booking.com since it is getting late (IMO) for May reservations. Rather than a triple room, which will probably be one double bed and a single, you might focus on apartments where you can get twin beds in a room and maybe two bathrooms. It will probably cost less than a hotel room. I also use VRBO.com a lot when I know I want an apartment.

Posted by
3691 posts

I agree with Laurel completely. It is not as early as one might think to look for a triple in May at this point. Without your budget, I am in the dark for hotel suggestions but one place that has triples with three beds, though not in Le Marais, is Hotel Excelsior Latin on Rue Cujas in the Latin Quarter. It is a very good hotel. I find that hotel rooms in Le Marais tend to be quite small (except at Pavillon de la Reine where a room for three will cost at least 400 euros per night and where that will get you a double bed and a sofa bed for three people). With three adults sharing one room, I would also look at places like a Pullman or a Novotel (which you will not find on booking.com) -- not super charming buildings but the rooms are usually larger than your typical Paris room and thus probably better for three adults.

Posted by
8293 posts

I agree with JHK above .... A Novotel or an Ibis may be the best place for a triple that doesn't cost the earth and can accommodate three adults. Not charming but it is just 3 nights.

I just remembered, there is a hotel called Camelia Prestige at Place de la Nation that has a family room on the ground floor. We used to stay in that hotel and what is now the family room was the office of the manager and his cat and his wife. Rue Philippe Auguste. Check it out.

Posted by
94 posts

hi all, thanks for the info! how about the Residence Bergere apartments, anyone familiar? 2nd arron.

our budget is around 200 euro a night.

Posted by
3691 posts

Residence Bergere is in the 9th -- not a big huge deal, but just letting you know. I have not stayed there. I like the 9th arrondissement but this will be a totally different feel from Le Marais. You have good transit connections from the area. I have walked around in the area and walked past Residence Bergere (actually I did not notice it but I have walked just the length on Rue Bergere). The area feels fine and a bit more real life than Le Marais and Saint Germain but I have no specific information about the Residence Bergere. I just looked it up and it's a very small property so the odds are good that no one on this board has stayed there.

Posted by
94 posts

Thanks JHK!

I was able to book a triple at the Hotel Saint Petersbourg Opera in the 9th...it's gotten a couple of positive mentions here. Booking.com and TripAdvisor both had good review, 4 stars on TA and 3 stars on Booking. I can cancel up until May 26th but I wanted to get something booked since time is getting short.

I appreciate everyone's input and I'll check back if anyone has any other suggestions. Thank you again!

Posted by
73 posts

Michele,

If you've been to Paris and are an experienced traveler, I'd highly recommend apartment over hotel for 3 people. Other than my first visit, I've always stayed in an apt/vacation rental when visiting Paris.

I've used parisautrement.com several times for booking apartments and have nothing but positive experience with the quality and service. They specialize in Marais but have a few outside the area that are equally lovely. It is an French owned/operated site but the staff speak English.

In terms of areas, I've stayed in the Marais, Latin Quarters and the Rue Cler area (by the Eiffel tower). The challenge is to pick a favorite place because they're all GREAT in their unique different ways.

Enjoy your vacation!

Posted by
94 posts

I'll take a look at the apartments on the link you sent, that may work out better! Thank you!

Posted by
9565 posts

Just a note that it may be tough to rent an apartment for only three nights. I'm glad you've got something booked in your pocket.

Posted by
94 posts

Hi Kim, yes that is an issue with the apartments - many require a longer stay, especially at the end of May. We'll go with the hotel for now, I'll update everyone with a hotel review. :-)

Posted by
482 posts

Apartments are the way to go in my opinion. More room than a hotel (unless you have beaucoup bucks), fridge, possibility of cooking/heating things up and usually free phone/WiFi/TV services. And did I mention more room than a hotel? It's great to be able to stretch out when you come back from your day in Paris without tripping over your luggage. We won't go back to hotels after having rented an apartment.

I usually go through Vacation In Paris http://www.vacationinparis.com/ They are professional, honest and helpful. I just checked with them and they said availability is not a problem for late May.

Good luck. Hope you all have a wonderful time.

Posted by
41 posts

We had a great fully furnished apartment in the neighborhood we did not yet know (canal St. Martin) for $110 a night (OK had to cook ourselves, or...eat out!!!) via airB/B.