Please sign in to post.

Hotel or Apartment in Paris

We are a family of 4 two adults and two teens who are going to be in Paris for 7 nights in July. Would like to stay in the 3th, 4th, 5th or 6th arrondissenment. I have been looking at hotels and most of what I checked on, the rooms are very small and will need two rooms. So I have been thinking an apartment might be better and give us more room. Can you recommend a rental company or should I just use vrbo or airbnb? I have used vrbo many times and have been always happy. I rented a house in Tuscany last year with a company and was also very pleased. Thanks for any information!

Posted by
9422 posts

An apartment is a great idea for the 4 of you. You can also try: VIP.com, HomeAway.com, ParisBestLodge.com, ParisAttitude.com...

Posted by
7042 posts

You can also look on booking.com for apartments. On the left side of the screen just choose apartment under Property Type. I put in some dummy dates in July for 2 adults and 2 teens and it looks like they have quite a few apartments available. It's just another option to try.

Posted by
784 posts

Because there are many illegal rentals in Paris and the city is cracking down, it is better to rent through an agency rather than a listing service such as VRBO and Airbnb. Agencies that get good reviews are Vacation in Paris, Cobblestone Paris Rentals, and Paris Best Lodge, among others. There are some that are not so reputable, so do your homework.There are no guantees, but the problem often arises when neighbors complain about the vacation rental in their building.

Posted by
784 posts

Because there are many illegal rentals in Paris and the city is cracking down, it is better to rent through an agency rather than a listing service such as VRBO and Airbnb. Agencies that get good reviews are Vacation in Paris, Cobblestone Paris Rentals, and Paris Best Lodge, among others. There are some that are not so reputable, so do your homework.There are no guantees, but the problem often arises when neighbors complain about the vacation rental in their building.

Posted by
7042 posts

Carolyn's advice is good. Another reason to use booking.com as an additional option. They're not perfect but I feel confident that the apartments they list on their website have been vetted and are not illegal (or questionable).

Posted by
6545 posts

We've done well with VRBO and Homeaway. We also got a good place through Historic Rentals. You're right to look for an apartment for your week-long, 4-person, 2-generation trip. For the cost of two hotel rooms, or maybe a little more, you can spread out, eat in when you want, keep different hours, probably do laundry, and live in more of a "real neighborhood." The tradeoff is no concierge or desk clerk to help if you need, but a good owner or agent will provide a way to get help if anything doesn't work. Have fun!

Posted by
11507 posts

Parisbestlodge is great.. have rented from them twice.. and viewed several of their apartments in person that I did not stay in ( two when they were being cleaned for new tenants.. and one when we befriended lady staying in it) but.. their apartments are smaller for families.. ( mostly studios or one bedrooms.. so putting two teens on a sofa bed not a good option) .. and they are super popular.. so chances at this point of a vacancy is pretty slim.

I personally think you should stay in a smaller family run type hotel and get two rooms.. why.. because you would have TWO bathrooms ( and they will be small) and more importantly.. its easier to find a hotel with A/C then it is an apartment.. and in july this can be very important..

What is your budget per night ( in euros please) perhaps we can suggest some good choices.