Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Paris

We will be staying in Paris for 5 nights in February, and will need a room for 3 adults. Looking for recommendations that are centrally located to all of the beautiful sights of Paris, clean and not too expensive. Thanks!

Posted by
1336 posts

Try the hotel Yllen Eiffel (3 stars). Took my students their last year. The decor is cool and the breakfast is a religious experience. They do have triple rooms and none of my student complained.

Posted by
5212 posts

My daughter & I enjoyed our stay at Hotel Diana in the Latin Quarter. It's near to the Cluny Museum & La Sorbonne University.
The hotel is family owned, clean, comfortable, with elevator, A/C, strong Wi-Fi connection & friendly hotel staff 24/7.

Enjoy Paris!

Posted by
9420 posts

Agree with Priscilla, Hotel Diana. Very reasonably priced and very central. One of my favorite areas to stay in Paris. Easy to walk to majority of sites. No location will be central to all sites, but this is one of the most central locations.
It's highly rated on TripAdvisor.com. Read their reviews.
PS we'll be in Paris in Feb too... bring warm and waterproof clothes and enjoy!

Posted by
81 posts

Given the time of year, I would personally recommend that you consider renting an apartment. Not sure of the configuration of the 3 adults (a couple and one more?) but you could easily find a 1BR with pull out sofa for the same price or less than hotel, and then have the convenience of a Living room and kitchen. Days are short in February and we spend more evening time inside.

Posted by
2466 posts

Why go to Paris at all then, just to spend most of the day shut up inside an apartment???
If you've never wandered around in the evening in Paris, you're really missing a treat. The streetlights are lit and everything is really much lovelier than it is in the daytime...plus, all the pickpockets have gone home.

Posted by
81 posts

Hum, well thank you for your input, however some of us travelers are 1) older and do get worn out from a full day's worth of walking and 2) are from warmer climates who might find an evening snuggling up in Paris just as agreeable as an evening walking about shivering in February and potentially running into judgmental people who feel they need to tell us how to enjoy OUR holidays.

Posted by
7209 posts

There are many nice hotels in Paris, and the Hotel Latin Excelsior has met our needs on several occasions. The have a nice clean and affordable place with larger superior rooms. They also have a 2 bedroom apartment that you might be interested in.

Posted by
11507 posts

Donna a bit harsh . You received some good advice .

Most apartment rentals in Paris aren't legal, and have conditions that may be less than convenient , for example no early check in of you , or your luggage , and you need to vet apartment rentals carefully .

For a first time visit , stay central ( single digits ) and although I have stayed in apartment ms , I still recommend a hotel for you .

Hotel Diana is a good choice , ( I have stayed there ) bit also Hotel College du France is one to look at , as well as many others ( there are so many good choices )

Perhaps if note your budget you could get more specific recommendations .

If I had money I would stay at Hotel Britannic or Hotel Aubusson .

Also note this ( since you mentioned age ) if an apartment listing says 2 bs floor , it's three flights of stairs , and many apartments do not have elevators ( if they don't mention it do not assume they have one ) same with hotels

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you all for your input! Btw, our 3 adults are my husband, my daughter and myself, but we are also traveling with another couple, so we are looking for 2 rooms.

We have made a reservation at the Hotel du Cadran. I was told it was recommended by Rick Steves in one of his books on Paris. Thank you all again for your suggestions! I appreciate each and every one of them : )

Posted by
9573 posts

Donna wasn't looking for advice, she was providing advice to the OP.

Posted by
3122 posts

Re: "Most apartment rentals in Paris aren't legal, and have conditions that may be less than convenient , for example no early check in of you , or your luggage , and you need to vet apartment rentals carefully."

A friend & her daughter recently stayed in an apartment in Paris through AirBNB and the plumbing got stopped up the first day they were there. It took them more than 48 hours to get the host to have it unstopped, and they could not use the toilet the whole time. They had to plan when they'd be out at a restaurant, museum, etc. to use the restrooms. Of course you could have a plumbing mishap in a hotel, too, but if they could not fix it promptly they'd probably be able to move you to another room.

Posted by
7209 posts

Hotel du Cadran is nice...I've stayed there. But you originally asked for something central. The du Cardran is located in the 7th which is hardly central, but it IS in the location where most Americans tend to gravitate (the Eiffel Tower) - especially Americans traveling with RS books ;-)

Posted by
2466 posts

epltd - did they ask for a refund for the time spent without water and plumbing?
It's illegal to rent when the owner knows for a fact that there will be an interruption in water/plumbing. Legally, it's called "unfit for human habitation".

At the very least, the owner should have provided bottled water for bathing, flushing and drinking at his expense. There is no excuse for this behavior.

Posted by
11507 posts

I think by "stopped up " she means plugged.

I agree with Tim.

Posted by
2466 posts

If it had been me, I would have gone to the store and bought a plunger.

But it doesn't matter what the plumbing was stopped up with. It is illegal to rent an apartment knowing that the tenants have no access to it.

Posted by
16 posts

I will be going to Paris (again) in March and I always book hotels through Travelocity, Hotels.com, etc. You choose the area and the price, then get a detailed list of available hotels that match your criteria. Takes the guess work out of the equation.