Please sign in to post.

Hotel In Paris

My wife and I have booked reservations via Expedia for our 4 day stay in Paris during early September at the Dauphine Saint Germain Hotel. Free cancellation up until just prior to our arrival so my plan is to continue to do research on other hotels in the interim. That said, I think this hotel meets all of our criteria and there are only 30 rooms so I decided to make the reservation at this time. Any comments regarding this hotel (total cost is approximately $268 per night) and other options for Latin Quarter or Marais area would be appreciated.

Posted by
3122 posts

We totally loved our hotel in the Latin Quarter, Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in Rue Cardinal Lemoine. They book up quickly as soon as a given date opens up on their 4-month or 6-month time rotation. The only downside I've heard from others is that it's not air conditioned, so if you happen to be on an upper floor during a heat wave it will be uncomfortable. This wasn't an issue when we were there, and we requested (and were cheerfully given) a ground-floor room because of my husband's mobility limitations.

We learned of Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in the Rick Steves guidebook to France, 2014. Sadly (but lucky for us), beginning with the 2015 book the Paris neighborhoods were trimmed back, omitting the Latin Quarter.

Posted by
6501 posts

We're also fans of the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, where we spent 12 nights years ago. I don't know what they charge now, I'm sure it's a lot more than we paid, but I doubt if it's as much as the Dauphine St-Germain.

However, I'd say the Dauphine is better located for sightseeing, very close to the Pont Neuf. Not that either location, or any location in central Paris, is a bad one.

Posted by
9420 posts

I stayed at Hotel des Grandes Ecoles for 4 wks, it’s ok but nothing to write home about imo and I didn’t love the area. I think where your hotel is located is much better. My 1st choice for location is Ile St Louis, the 5th, 6th and the Marais, as close to the river as possible. You can get a wonderful hotel on Ile St Louis for the same price, or lower, that’s what I would do. Enjoy Paris!

Posted by
3961 posts

We enjoyed Caron de Beaumarchais in the Le Marais. Charming, small boutique hotel. We chose an upper room with small balcony. Breakfast was extra. Large servings if you want to share. Walking distance to restaurants. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful with recommendations. We were very happy with the location. 10 min. walk to the Seine & Notre Dame and other major sites. Bus service a block away. Sounds like it's in the price point you mentioned. We booked directly with the hotel site.

Posted by
61 posts

I have stayed in/near the Marais (friend of a friend's condo), and many years ago I stayed in a hotel a block or so from Dauphine Saint Germain.
Marais location was surely not bad, but the Rue Dauphine practically turns into the Pont Neuf bridge just about 3 blocks down from the hotel. Pont Neuf is Right there near both Ile de la cite and Ile saint louis. In other words, very centrally located to alot of the sites you may want to see, and you can very easily cross from left to right bank. Also very close to several metro stations.

I have to share that a friend of mine and I just booked on expedia and I was so excited we were able to get a wonderfully priced package that included the Daupine Saint Germaine for that very reason...the central location and near pont neuf so you can cross from left to right bank easily. Another bonus...if you get lost you just have to ask for directions to the Pont Neuf :-).

I will add that I remember the street was a little noisy then (many years ago though, so may have changed).