Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Bordeaux?

We will need to be in Bordeaux for one night in early September before our flight leaves the next day. Any suggestions for a place to stay?
On another topic: has anyone been to the Wine Museum in Bordeaux?

Posted by
7903 posts

My niece and I went to the wine museum (La Cité du Vin) and both learned a lot, enjoyed it, especially the glass of wine of your choice at the end of the visit. I stayed at the ibis Bordeaux Centre Gare Saint Jean near the train station.

Posted by
27204 posts

There are several Ibis hotels right near the train station. I'm currently at the Bordeaux Centre Gare Saint Jean Euratlantique (I am not making that up), and the hotel is fine. The shower is cramped. The Gare Saint Jean area is not terribly convenient (I am doubtful about finding interesting restaurants in the immediate area), but I booked late and there was a big price difference between this area and the available rooms in more centrally located hotels. The city has good public transportation, so moving around by bus is workable. The tram line serving the train station is currently out of commission due to a recent fire somewhere along the line. They're running replacement buses very frequently.

I haven't been out to the airport, but I'm sure transportation is readily available from the area around the train station to the airport. I think I saw buses labeled "Aeroport" yesterday.

Posted by
5332 posts

There is a dedicated private coach service from Gare Saint Jean to the airport, and a local bus that does the same route (with a lot more stops, but at a normal fare). The area around the railway station is being redeveloped but is still very much a work in progress. There is the Boca Food Court in a former slaughterhouse.

Posted by
70 posts

We stayed here a couple of years ago: La Maison du Lierre, 57 rue Huguerie, http://www.hotel-maisondulierre-bordeaux.com/
Comfortable, charming, and a nice breakfast. It's not particularly near the train station but it was easy to take a cab, and we walked around the neighborhood and to/from dinner.

Posted by
271 posts

We have the same situation in October, and decided on the Quality Hotel Bordeaux Centre. It does appear to be located near a pedestrian street and restaurants, although for one night that might not matter much. Our rate also included breakfast. We'll likely take a taxi to the airport in the morning.

Posted by
26 posts

Thank you. We now have decided to rent a car from Sarlat to Bordeaux and drop off at airport, so we'll need to stay near airport. I appreciate your answers.

There is more than one "Wine Museum" in Bordeaux. I see a previous visitor mentioned La Cité du Vin. I have not visited that, but its website suggests to me that it's a multimedia-heavy museum that goes more for entertainment than education. When my wife and I were in Bordeaux recently we visited Le Musée du Vin et du Négoce and learned a fascinating amount of history about how the wine industry developed in Bordeaux under the influence of British and Dutch traders, which made it much different than the history of wine production in Burgundy or the Rhône valley.

So -- I would suggest you think about what interests you and what you want to glean from your museum visit.

Posted by
27204 posts

The Cite du Vin is heavily promoted. I didn't even know the other place existed; one might need to be very specific if seeking directions, etc. I went out to the Cite du Vin just to see a special glass exhibition, so I can't comment on the regular displays. I can tell you that the place was not overrun at the end of May. There's a gourmet food market just beyond the Cite du Vin. I was impressed by the food options there and the two things I consumed.

Posted by
6 posts

Where you stay might depend on how much time you have/what you want to do while you are there. Do you have the better part of a day? Want to explore the city? We stayed at the Hotel Mama Shelter in Bordeaux last fall, and thought the location was quite good. Near transit and many restaurants/sights walk-able from there. You can take transit to the train station, but not sure about the airport. La Cite du Vin was very interesting, in my opinion. Definitely multi-media/modern/techy, but lots of info about wine!