Please sign in to post.

Hostel in Paris

Anyone stay at one they really liked? I'm thinking Latin Quarter, Le Marais, or nearby.

I prefer clean and quiet, don't care much about other amenities except locker to store my bag.

I'll be there in mid-Sept to early Oct. Do I need to worry about air conditioning at that time of year? I'm willing to play the odds on this. If it's unseasonable weather, I'll survive.

Posted by
32202 posts

Brad,

You might have a look at the HI Hostels website as they have several properties in Paris in different parts of the city.

https://www.hihostels.com/destinations/0048/hostels

I find that the facilities are somewhat consistent from one property to the next, and the Hostels are well managed. Having an HI membership will provide slightly cheaper prices. For mid-Sept. to Oct. I wouldn't be too concerned about A/C. I've found that some hotels in Paris usually switch-off the A/C about that time of year anyway.

Posted by
2466 posts

There is a popular one in the Marais - "MIJE" - very conveniently located on a quiet street near the river and between St Paul and Bastille Metro stations. No need for air-conditioning that time of year, and anyway, most places do not provide this.

Posted by
12172 posts

Thanks,

So far I've been looking at the HI Jules Ferry and the MIJE. I like the locations of both. The MIJE looks nicer (but costs a little more) and HI is generally a safe bet.

It always helps when someone has stayed there and can tell you what to expect.

Posted by
1014 posts

Are you staying by yourself or do you have company? If there are more than one, less than four, an Ibis Budget (old Etap) can be competitive in price. They have ensuite bathroom with shower. Depending on where they are located they can be as cheap as 55-70 per night, per room. I have seen the regular Ibis close to Moulin Rouge for around 65 to 70.00.

Posted by
12172 posts

Right now, by myself. One friend I served with in the Air Guard said he wanted to go. I won't count on him, however, until he buys a ticket. Either way hostels will work fine. If he goes, there may be others who choose to tag along. A retired lady who used to be my boss (she said she does hostels too) expressed interest but I won't invite her if it's just me. I could see sharing a two bed room with my friend from the Guard. If my old boss goes, she'll need something separate.

I'm looking at Airbnb for rooms when there are no hostels in the area.

Posted by
275 posts

I have stayed at HI Jules Ferry twice, and have been happy with my stays. It is a bit old, and I understand that some of the other HI hostels in Paris are newer. However it is clean, and breakfast is included. I like the location of HI Jules Ferry, which is near Place de la Republique. I stayed there in September last year. I don't think it has air conditioning, but this was not an issue at all. The weather was warm during the day, but it cooled down a lot at night.

Posted by
32202 posts

Brad,

" If my old boss goes, she'll need something separate."

Not necessarily! I've stayed in a few Hostels that had co-ed dorm rooms. On one of my stays in Switzerland, there was one girl in the room with five guys (everyone behaved themselves). If your old boss is willing to stay in Hostels, she might have to be prepared for that.

Posted by
12172 posts

Ken,

Yes. I meant not sharing a room as opposed to a different place altogether. I'm thinking hostels primarily for this trip because they make as much sense for a group of people who aren't going as couples as for a solo traveler.

This is my first post divorce trip. I used to love traveling by myself but have made most of my trips, over the last few decades, with some combination of my ex, kids, mom and/or friends. My kids are grown now, my mom says she's too old to travel (although I want to take her to Ireland next Spring), and my ex can do whatever she wants (but not with me).