Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon in Paris

Hii!

I just wanted some opinions before I completed my AIRBNB booking for Paris.

I was planning to go to

London May 17-May 21 train to
Paris May 21-27 fly to
Venice May 27-May 31 VERY early flight to
Santorini at 535am May 31- June 4 fly to rome around 430pm
Rome June 4-9 (possibly visit Amalfi Coast for a day trip? or Florence for a day trip)
Home

My predicament is I do not know if 6 days in Paris is too much? Will we be bored? Or should we try to make it 5 days in Paris and then go to Colmar or Annency or something that is along the way toward Italy, stay a night and from there train to Venice.

your suggestions would be appreciated :) as it is hard to change my booking on airbnb if I do not decide now

Posted by
3702 posts

I don't know if you will be bored in Paris if you spend 6 days. I would not be but what do you enjoy doing? Anyway, if you want to add a day to some other place on you trip, leaving on the 26, would still give you 4 full days plus the half day of your arrival day and possibly depending on your departure time 1/2 day on the departure date. On my first trip to Paris, I spent 5 days and loved it and went to all the places that were my must sees, but I was absolutely exhausted at the end of the trip and vowed to return. I would probably skip the day trip while in Rome, but if you feel compelled to do one, I think that Florence would be easier to do. By the way, Santorini is amazingly beautiful.

Posted by
15589 posts

Hi Panda,

You've struggled, and had to make some tough decisions, and now you've got a good plan.

There is so much to see and do in Paris. I would not worry at all that 6 days is too much. Going to Colmar or Annecy won't make it any quicker to get to Venice, and you'll use 1/2 day getting there. There are good day trips from Paris if you want to get out of the city. Go to Reims to see the cathedral, the basilica and tour a couple of champagne caves with tastings. Go to Chartres to see the magnificent cathedral (take Malcolm Miller's tour) and explore the town. For something really different, go to Mini France and see the whole country in a day. Go to Giverny for a day and explore the little town of Vernon as well as the Monet home and gardens.

Posted by
161 posts

hi!

if we go to Colmar we were thinking of Checking out of Paris on May 26 and then taking an early train to Colmar. May 27 we would go to Venice from Colmar.

Colmar via train for a day trip as it is a lengthy train ride. Has anyone tried this?

Posted by
1878 posts

Six days is not remotely too much in Paris. There are lots of potential day trips too, Chartres, Versailles, other chateaux. There is enough art, history, culture etc. to keep you busy—assuming you like that stuff. Otherwise you probably would not be going to Europe on your honeymoon. If your flight from Venice is that early you will want to stay that night by the airport before you depart. This is a very far flung itinerary, can't imagine including Greece in this myself, but it's your honeymoon so go for it.

Posted by
161 posts

Vs

Yes we thought about Greece been out of the way but just happens that the flights there are direct 2.5 hr flights and we felt it was something that was a priority for us :). Especially since the economy and pricing has allow it to be slightly more affordable!

Regarding 6 days in Paris Having plenty to do. You are right! I just felt that it would be a shame to not experience eastern France if even for a little bit?

Colmar and Annecy were some favorites but my fiancé saw videos/ photos of Colmar and found it adorable like something from beauty and the beast.

Correct me if my thinking is wrong! I totally understand it does not bring me closer to Venice as a direct flight from Paris into Venice would be easier. Maybe if anyone has experience with Colmar they can let me know if it's worth the trouble :). Or are all the photos on Pintrest photoshopped to make it look beautiful in photos only :p

Posted by
15589 posts

Colmar is very pretty. So are hundreds of other places in Europe. How do you get from Colmar to Venice?

Posted by
161 posts

using Rome2Rio I saw that you can get to Basel and fly to Venice. However. I thought it was also possible to just leave it as a potential day trip and simply train for 3 hours around 655am rest on the train from Paris- Colmar. I can spend the day there and catch a train back around 7 pm or so and be back at the Lourvre around 10:35pm roughly.

Would this be doable? Basically I would leave it open to us and how feel after exploring Paris. I wouldn't have to purchase tickets/ flights to Venice either. It would be a more spontaneous day trip that requires no extra booking besides the train tickets :). It is about 3 hours each way.

Posted by
7175 posts

Don't do that to yourself. A journey time of 90mins each way for a day trip is about my maximum.

Posted by
11335 posts

I think you are trying too hard to fit in Colmar. Give yourselves a break. It is a honeymoon. Save Colmar for the next trip.

IMO Florence deserves far more than a day trip, as does the Amalfi Coast. Enjoy Rome and save the other locations for that "we'll be back" next trip!

Buon viaggio!

Posted by
7209 posts

6 days too much in Paris? You could stay 6 months and still be discovering new and exciting things. Besides, it's your Honeymoon. Do you really need city sites to keep you from boredom??? really???