Please sign in to post.

High School Student Group Visit to Normandy April 2025

I am a high school history teacher who is co-planning and co-chaperoning a high school trip to France with my French teaching colleague in late April 2025. We want to do a day trip from Paris to the Normandy beaches. I know a one-day trip doesn't provide a lot of time, but that's what we have to work with. Can anyone recommend a local tour guide who can work well with 15 high school students interested in learning more about the D-Day invasions and the sacrifices made by the militaries involved? If you have other advice for transportation logistics to/from Paris, that would also be helpful.
Thank you very much!

Posted by
2422 posts

We.used HQCompany tours and they do provide for.small.to large groups..we had a private tour for just the two of us and have booked one for April for the four of us and they are customizing this tour since two of us already used them. they are great to work with. Our guide Yannic was fantastic. Which group you chose I strongly advise the students to watch The Longest Day. I believe most of it was filmed in the area. Look up the church in St..Mere Eglise.and the memorial to John Steele.which is hanging from.the. church steeple in his honor. You can take the train from Paris to Bayeau with no changes and they will pick you up at the station and drop off after the tour. I don't remember how long it took but I seem to remember about two hours. Mid way thru the tour they stop for lunch and
you pay your own way. Best of luck and I think this is a brilliant idea.

Posted by
750 posts

Just curious if these are American students? I only ask because I was so moved on our recent trip to France and Belgium, how many young local children we saw on their school field trips both in Normandy and at Flanders Field American Cemetery in Belgium where the students and their families have "adopted" the WW1 soldiers to keep their memories alive; as we learned of how most soldiers never had family able to come from the US to pay their respects.

So, though it is only one day for your students, it will leave an impression they will never forget.
Great job, teacher!

Posted by
3960 posts

I personally think every US high school student should see Normandy. If you want the a Frenchman's perspective... Matthias Leclure. His grandparents billeted German troops in their home during WWII. His grandfather had a nice one-liner he would say after finishing a bottle of wine.

https://ddayguidedtours.com/normandy/

You could ask about a group of high school students.

If you need transportation from Paris, it might be best to work with a guiding agency in Paris that does tours from Paris.

Posted by
7118 posts

If you need transportation from Paris, it might be best to work with a guiding agency in Paris that does tours from Paris

I think this would be your best bet. Herding 15 high school students on the train to Bayeux, which involves a train change in Caen, could be a little unwieldly. Best to get a private tour from Paris which includes transportation to Normandy D Day beaches. Hopefully someone here can give you a suggestion with personal reference. If you're getting your own transportation from Paris to Normandy and only need a local guide when you get there, then you could also call the RS office for possible recommendations for guides.

Posted by
3876 posts

What is the budget for this trip to Normandy? I ask because a charter/private tour from Paris for 15 students is probably going to cost thousands of euros. Overlord Tours has an afternoon tour that leaves from Bayeux costs about 80€ per person. Maybe contact them and see if they can do anything for your group if you are willing to get the group to Bayeux.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the great suggestions!

We are an American high school group from New Hampshire, and in preparation for this part of the trip, I will have done a lot of the historic background work with them in one of my classes.

We will most likely travel to the Normandy region from Paris via train to keep the cost down and we are pretty adept at getting them on and off trains.

I really appreciate the feedback!