Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary

Planning a trip to France in September. Will arrive CDG Sept. 14 and depart Sept. 27. Was thinking of
Sept. 14-20 Paris
Sept. 21 Reims
Sept. 22-25 Strasbourg
Sept 26 Paris
Will be traveling by train between destinations. Want to tour champagne cave in Reims and see the cathedral without crowds. Hoping to do day trips from Strasbourg to Colmar and Nancy. Planning my time in Paris to just enjoy that beautiful city. I’ve been in Paris 3 times previously but still have much to explore. Never been to the other destinations. Suggestions appreciated. Does that train travel sequence make sense?

Posted by
7661 posts

Not a bad plan, you have plenty of time in Paris which is important. Strasbourg is a wonderful city and you can see the high spots in one full day. Doing a day trip to Colmar is good. Not sure that I would spend a day in Nancy.

Posted by
25 posts

We have a similar itinerary in two weeks, though we decided to base in Colmar rather than Strasbourg.

Originally we had Paris first, but moved it to the end as we’re primarily going for shopping and didn’t make sense to lug our purchases around France. Still flying into CDG and taking a train to Lyon.

Only quibble is with a single day in Reims, but that is personal preference based upon our last trip to France six years ago, decided not to do single night stays this go around, to not be packing and unpacking every day. We’re trying three night stays.

Posted by
1368 posts

If hotels and tours are not set why not head straight to Strasbourg once you land at CDG. I did this in November, had first class train tickets booked 3 hours after arrival, leaving from Terminal 2 from CDG directly to Strasbourg. That way you can spend the end of your trip in Paris and not worry about traveling the day before departure. Hopefully the COVID test the day prior to departure will be discontinued when you leave.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
27099 posts

There's more than enough in Nancy to fill a day. I did a lot of walking, tracking down Art Nouveau buildings.

Posted by
898 posts

Would you consider arriving at CDG and then taking the train to Reims, spending a day; then on to Strasbourg, ending in Paris? That way you would have only one one-night stay in Reims and your Paris stay would be unbroken.

Posted by
3160 posts

I think the itinerary is great. In Strasbourg the Tourist Info office offers and very nice audio guide tour and a combination ticket that saves money on a narrated river cruise and museum entries.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks to all who answered. After reading several other posts about jet lag I’m worried that going to Reims or Strasbourg first might not work for me. I’ve never been to either of those locations and would be worried about wondering around in a daze. I’ve been to Paris previously and at least I’m familiar with the area I plan on staying in. One thought is I could possibly do Reims as a day trip from Paris and return very late in the day. That way I could add a day to Strasbourg or add an additional night in Paris when I come back. I guess the next thing I need to do is check train schedules. Again, thanks. I appreciate all the info.

Posted by
7289 posts

Because your trip is so short, note that you can go to Strasbourg directly from CDG by TGV. Daylight activity is a recognized remedy for Jet Lag. Just an idea. And you can only drop your bag, not get your hotel room in Paris at 8AM, after all.

How did you select Reims? I guess it's the Champagne, not the church. There are lots of lovely churches in France. And lots of interesting wineries. I imagine most Champagne houses demand a reservation. If you are an informal traveler and don't actually drink that much wine (making that up!) this may be a poor way of planning an excursion.

You should, as you said, check train schedules to see if Colmar is a reasonable daytrip from Strasbourg. I personally like to stay three days in one place, but there have to be enough close daytrips to justify a stay. I'm not trying to tell YOU what you would enjoy, but maybe you should select some more first-rate runouts from Paris, and sleep more in Paris, like Giverny, Versailles, CHARTRES, Chateau Chantilly, Fontainebleu.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/france/recommended-side-trips-in-france-with-no-car

Posted by
6888 posts

Fully agree with Acraven on Nancy: there is a lot there... especially if you are into Art Nouveau. I am not (not at all, even!), and found little to interest me there beyond place Stanislas and surroundings. It was eons ago, so the city and my perspective might have changed positively since then!
But then, I am assuming that you did some research on Nancy to come up with it as a day trip option (it is not typically included in trips to France).

Otherwise, the plan looks good! The suggestion to end with Paris, if possible, is a good one, but it is not critical.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for all suggestions. I’ve changed it a bit to allow for two days in Paris at the end of the trip.

September 14-20 Paris with a side trip to Reims

September 21-24 Strasbourg

September 25-26 Paris

I plan to stay in the Marais when I arrive in Paris and in Montmartre when I return. It’s been 12 years since I visited Paris.

Any suggestions of where to stay in Strasbourg? I will be doing 2 side trips - to Colmar and Nancy. I’ve never been to this area of France before.

All suggestions appreciated.

Posted by
1368 posts

I can only suggest the Best Western Plus Monopole Metropole in Strasbourg. I needed a place with an elevator for my mother, she has limited mobility, and the hotel was only a few blocks from the main train station & walkable to downtown. We enjoyed our stay & we lucked out that our rooms were ready, since we arrived 2 hours before check in.