Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary!

I plan to fly into Paris sometime around May 22. I eventually want to spend several days in Paris, to see all of the sites and to go to the French Open Tennis Championships one or two days which start May 28. I am an avid hiker and lover of nature, so I am naturally drawn to the Alps (Chamonix!). However, a friend is turning 60 next year and he wants to hike around Mont Blanc, so I may wait until then to visit the Alps. I know there is so much to see and do in France, that I have to cut it down. So I am not planning on seeing any war related places (Normandy), or going to the south of France (French Riviera). I think I would like to go to Burgundy because one of my favorite trips is to the wine country outside of San Francisco (I am in the U.S.. I have only been to Europe once...Italy) and in my mind that is what Burgundy would be like. So I guess what I am thinking about doing is flying into Paris, and staying one night to recover from jet lag. Then heading out to the countryside for several days to see some sites. I am not drawn so much to touristy stuff as much as nature (mountains, lakes, places to day hike). Of course, historic and artsy places are good too. Is Burgundy a good choice? Other places better? I would probably spend 3-4 days outside of Paris, and then return maybe around May 27 and spend 5-6 nights there before flying home. Once I figure out where I might go, I will need to decide what kind of transportaion to take, so that might factor in. I will be traveling solo, and I am a 54 year old male who can handle big hikes and walks of any kind. I teach tennis in Arkansas, hence the need to go to the French Open at least a day or two. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Posted by
6522 posts

Burgundy is beautiful and full of good wine. I'd suggest taking a train from Paris to Dijon, renting a car there, and driving to nearby Beaune for a few days. Beaune is a good base for day trips by car, or bike if you want to rent one. It also has a lot of tasting rooms and good restaurants so you can indulge without having to drive afterward.

Not so much for Burgundy in the mountain and lake department, but lots of beautiful countryside and northwest of Beaune is the Morvan forest with more rugged terrain. Our favorite sights reachable from Beaune include Semour-en-Auxois, Alyse-Ste-Reine, Fontenay Abbey, Vezelay, and Autun. Your choices may vary.

Posted by
4132 posts

I'd de-jetlag in Burgundy and save all of Paris for the end of the trip. Burgundy is rural and pretty and has great food and wine. The best way to get about is by bicycle, which you can rent there, though depending on your itinerary you might want to make arrangements in advance.

There are several good day rides out of Beaune; if you are staying longer you should think about what else you'd like to see, because Beaune is small.