Please sign in to post.

Help with France trip late July 2015

We will be traveling to France in late July. Looking for advice on itinerary. We are a couple in mid 30's, active, not terribly experienced in European travel. We have done a two week Italy trip in late July, Rome, Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre, and Tuscany, we loved it all. We don't mind moving around a bit, although 2 or 3 nights in one location is ideal. We enjoyed traveling by train in Italy, but we also rented a car. I have been reading the RS France and Spain guidebook, there is just so much to see I cannot decide! Here's what we were thinking, suggestions and critiques welcome!
3 nights Paris, we will be flying in separately and meeting in Paris from work travel.
2 nights Burgundy or Lyon
Should we try to go to Chamonix?
2 nights Provence
Possibly over to Barcelona for 2 nights?
Not sure if this should be the end or return to France for another location before flying home.
Just in case you were wondering we are not looking to do Normandy on this trip, since I will be going there for work prior to meeting in Paris.

Posted by
4132 posts

Hey Joe. Here is what I think. You need to decide what your priorities are, and leave the rest for your next trip.

Unless you have the option to add more time (in which case do it!), I think you know you have too much on your plate. These are all great destinations so it's really up to you.

I will note that of everything on your wish list, Chamonix and Barcelona are outliers, logistically. That does not rule them out if they call to you, but if you are truly indifferent they are the logical ones to leave off.

You can also rent a car for part of this trip too. Burgundy to Lyon to Provence would be a nice trip, and a car is useful inBurguindy and Provence to get out into the countryside and see the sights.

Posted by
1914 posts

My personal opinion is that you are planning way too much! I wouldn't do less than 4 nights in Paris and then go into the countryside for a minimum of 3 nights per stop. No way would I do 2 nights in Burgundy or Provence- just not enough time to see anything. Those area are vast. If it were me, I'd do 5 nights in Paris, and the remainder in Burgundy with a car visiting small villages in the countryside. If you really felt compelled to see more, do 4 nights Paris, the Loire for 2 nights (not enough still) and 3 in Burgundy.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by
16893 posts

I agree with the reasoning above. Save Spain for later and focus on fewer regions in France, since each region is rich. For instance, if you're in Provence, the fastest train from Avignon to Barcelona takes 4 hours, running only once per day, and other departures take 5 - 7 hours, no overnight option.

Posted by
4105 posts

Chamonix will only frustrate you...too hard to get to!

Posted by
15582 posts

Try using viamichelin.com to plot out a driving route for your French destinations. It will give you driving times and estimated costs. Then figure out how to get to either Barcelona or home from wherever you end your French trip.

I agree that 3 nights in Paris is not nearly enough. It doesn't compare with Italian cities.

Posted by
605 posts

My wife and I did the following a little while ago:

3 nights paris
2 nights beaune (burgundy)
2 nights Annecy (alps)
2 nights Arles (provence)
2 nights Nice

and then we headed into Italy. This trip was all by train and we enjoyed the pacing of it. Getting from place to place was easy enough. That said, if we had planned to get a rental car, the trip would be much different - likely focused on one of these locations with more in-depth exploring. It was a great trip and we've since used what we learned to plan our upcoming trip, which will feature a week in Provence and a week in the Alps (with a rental car).

Posted by
17 posts

My wife, son and I did the following 11 years ago by train and it went well with the note after. We were new to Europe at the time as well. There were some similar elements to your trip.

Flew to Paris spent 3 nights.
TGV (mostly) to Carcassonne - 1 night
Arles - 3 nights
Avignon - 1 night
Lyon - 2 nights
TGV to Paris airport for return.

This is a smaller area to cover than your itinerary yet it was enough, although pleasant and doable.
I would say this. More time in Paris if possible. We loved Lyon. Glad we had 2 nights there. Not sure what you want from Provence but if you stay only 2 nights, I would likely find one town (Arles?) and get to know it.

My opinion, Barcelona is too far and has way to much to do for 2 nights. Do a Spain trip some time. Something like you did in Italy.

Posted by
6502 posts

Two nights somewhere = one full day for sightseeing. Burgundy? Provence? Barcelona? All deserve more than that, and Paris deserves more than two full days.

Your message doesn't really say how much total time you have for the non-business part of this trip, and I agree with Adam, the more the better. Even so, unless you have two weeks or more, I'd suggest limiting your destinations to Paris and Burgundy (by car which you can rent as you leave Paris, for instance at Gare de Lyon). Maybe add Lyon if you have enough time, drop the car there and take a fast train back to Paris (or maybe straight to CDG if the timing is right). If you have longer you might add Provence, though July will be hot. Save Barcelona for another trip.

I hope your work in Normandy leaves you time to see some of the memorable sights there. Have a great trip!