Please sign in to post.

Help with France Itinerary

We will be making a return visit to France in the fall & have some questions regarding ease of travel between a few areas as well as how much time to allow without over or under scheduling.
After touring Belgium, we plan to rent a car in Lille, drive to Honfleur & spend two nights. Then, a day trip to Giverney & on to Rouen for another two night stay, returning our rental there. We'll take the train to Paris & spend about a week. Loved it & must go back!
After Paris, we'd like to see something of the Alsace region so perhaps three nights based in Colmar with side trips to the surrounding towns.

Now, this is where we are having difficulty knowing how to proceed, both in terms of logistics, ease of getting around (we can take trains & rent a car when more desirable) & how to determine how much time to plan for each area. We'd like to get a good feel & not be too rushed in seeing more of Provence, perhaps staying in Arles for about 3 nights; we'd also like to go to the Dordogne, staying perhaps in Sarlat & seeing some of the prehistoric caves; and, we'd also like to spend a few day in/around Albi.

Looking at a map, it seems more efficient to take a train from Lyon to Sarlat but that would void any time in Provence unless we backtracked. Does it make more sense to to from Colmar down to Arles & then west & north to Sarlat before going south to Albi? I know we can catch a train from Carcassone to Barcelona...which is our last stop on this trip.
So...how to route this trip.....how much time in each area? And, assuming we can travel via train, would we be better off renting a car once we arrive in each of these areas?

Look forward to suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Posted by
3161 posts

I would consider skipping Arles as it seems to be out of your way and would inconvenience you. Definitely rent a car when leaving Lyon. It's about a 4 1/2 hr drive to Sarlat and an easy drive to Albi and Carcasonne where I'd return the rental. In Albi make sure to visit the bastide towns. Had a terrific, relaxing lunch in the courtyard restaurant of the small hotel in the center of the bastide town of Puycelci.

If your heart is set on Arles, consider driving from Carcasonne to the back door village of Cucugnan and then through the Camargue to Arles. After Arles, go to Marseille and hop the train from there to Barcelona. If you have the time, you could also visit Aix and Avignon.

Posted by
15582 posts

I spent some time in Alsace and Burgundy last month, by car. I stayed in Equisheim as a base for Alsace. I really liked staying in one of the little villages (they are all charming), rather than "big city" Colmar. Use viamichelin.com for driving times and costs. Do not underestimate the driving time. Roads in Alsace are well maintained - Alsace is a wealthy region. Burgundy's roads were definitely poorer - narrower, with bumps and potholes. Many roads in both areas are two-lane and none had shoulders. I haven't driven in other parts of France.

Whether you rent a car in each area and use trains in-between would depend more on the availability of rental cars in each area and the daily rate. You usually get a much better rate for rentals of 4 (maybe 5) days or more.

Posted by
77 posts

So many thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them &, hopefully, come up with the best solution for us. If anyone has anything additional to offer about transportation, accommodations, must-see or do sights, please feel free. This trip had been postponed & we stopped doing our research/planning until we were sure we could make it....so we're a bit late in getting it all together!