Please sign in to post.

Help with 2018 Itinerary for France/London/Switzerland

Hello everyone, new to the forum. We are looking for some advice on our British Isle/Europe Trip next June 2018. We are taking a 3-week vacation, including a 2-week British Isles Cruise, spending the day at each of the towns/ports:

FRANCE: Le Havre (Departing/Returning Port)
ENGLAND: London (Southampton), Guernsey (St. Peter Port)
IRELAND: Dublin, Cork, (Cobh - Blarney Castle), Belfast, Northern Ireland
SCOTLAND: Glasgow (Greenock), Orkney Islands (Kirkwall), Invergordon, Edinburgh (South Queensferry).

We are flying into Paris, arriving in 7-full days before the cruise (which departing on 8th-day). We were thinking of traveling via train to the following, but are open to other countries/cities:

We would like to see:
1. See the basics of Paris (Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, etc)
2. London for a couple of days, (Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, Stonehenge, London Eye, etc)
3. Would like to travel to Switzerland/Alps for a few days.

I realize 7-full days are not enough to see everything, but just looking for some ideas on how to spend our 7-days before the cruise.

Thanks in advance,
Mike D.

Posted by
11344 posts

I recommend you pick two of the three with 7 days. Each location (the "Alps" being particularly huge) can take a week or longer. We've spent 3 weeks in London already and want to go back, as well as two in Paris with a return planned. A weeks is a good start in Switzerland.

While travel from Paris to London is easy via the EuroStar, detouring to Switzerland is a big out-and-back that will eat up 4 to 6 hours in each direction depending on where you choose to go. (FYI, not Zurich nor Basel. You need to get to Luzern at a minimum and Zermatt or Lauterbrunnen are more mountainous, dramatic.)

Bottom line, I would suggest 4 nights in Paris and 3 in London. Plan Switzerland for a future land-based trip.