Please sign in to post.

Health insurance

Looking for best policy for health coverage in France for one month

Posted by
943 posts

I still think you mean Trip Insurance - as part of that covers your health. We have USAA and love them, but if you don't have access to USAA - check out InsureMyTrip online to compare many companies.

Travel Insured and Allianz are very good. If you're a AAA member, go there and go thru them - they use Allianz at a AAA rate. Just be sure to get a good policy with Medical Evacuation - be sure you are comparing Apples to Apples.

Posted by
8097 posts

I think you can buy travel insurance policies that are ONLY health insurance. Look on line for that.

Posted by
2780 posts

Annwyoungblood, If you only want medical insurance, GeoBlue is an insurance company to look at. If you work or have Medicare supplement, you may have health coverage through that policy.

Disclaimer: I have not bought or used Geoblue. But others have mentioned it on the forum. I considered buying an annual policy but chose Allianz for a more complete travel insurance annual policy.

Posted by
48 posts

Our health insurance covers medical treatment overseas, but we always buy medical evacuation and repatriation. Go to squaremouth.com or insuremytrip.com and filter for what you think you need. I did a quick search and you should be able to get medical and medical evacution/repatriation coverage less than $200 a month.

Posted by
7579 posts

You do need to take some care when looking at insurance. Several people mentioned what you want is travel insurance, most of which include a host of coverages from trip interruption, to cancellation, to health, to evacuation, and more. Those policies make sense if you are dropping thousands on a tour (like a Rick Steves tour) and want to mitigate risk on the cost, plus have some health insurance. Problem is, most of the cost is to cover trip cancellation/interruption, which is the higher risk, so if you are an independent traveler, who can cancel or change airline tickets, hotels, and other costs, you will overpay. In that case you want to look for a medical specific policy.

A medical specific policy should include medical care, evacuation, and in these days costs in case you have to stay in a country for quarantine.

Posted by
4439 posts

Best is pretty subjective. DIY at squaremouth and insuremytrip to see what the (many) options are.

Also consider adding Medjet for evac.