Please sign in to post.

Happy 400th Birthday to Blaise Pascal!

:-)
Blaise Pascal (Clermont, 19 June 1623). He was homeschooled by his father, a mathematician who believed that children should absorb knowledge naturally rather than by studying. So he didn’t go to school in his youth, but he worked on geometric problems in the yard, while playing with sticks. When he was 12, he showed his father that the sum of the angles of a triangle is equal to two right angles. His father was shocked that he had figured this out on his own, and invited him to join in scientific discussions with other mathematicians. At 16, he published an article on the geometric properties of cones, and a few years later, he invented the first mechanical calculator.

Pascal’s family was not religious, but in 1646, he met two Christian mystics who cared for his father during an illness. They converted Pascal, and he converted his family, but he continued working on scientific experiments, showing that a vacuum could exist in nature, and invented the mathematics of probability.

Then, one night in November of 1654, he experienced a divine vision, which he called a “night of fire.” He wrote an account of the experience and sewed it into his coat lining to carry until his death. After that night, he decided to forget the world and everything except for God. He left Paris in 1655 and went to live in a convent. While living there, his niece was miraculously cured of an eye disease by touching a thorn from the crown of Jesus. He decided to write a book to convert skeptics to Christianity.

Pascal wrote a series of notes and fragments about his thoughts on religion, but he never completed the book. The notes were found after his death and published as Pensées(Thoughts, 1669). In that book, he describes his famous wager, arguing that if God does not exist, the skeptic loses nothing by believing in him; but if God does exist, the skeptic gains eternal life by believing in him. He also argued that it is the heart that experiences God, and not reason.

He wrote: “Man. What a novelty! What a monster, what a chaos, what a contradiction, what a prodigy. Judge of all things, imbecile worm of the earth; depositary of truth, a sink of uncertainty and error: the pride and refuse of the universe.”

Pascal also said, “Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed.”

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Blaise-Pascal

Where in Paris can we visit to get a feel for his contributions to its history?
Have any of you visited the abbey at Port-Royal?
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Port-Royal-abbey-Versailles-France

Posted by
7380 posts

I’ve never seen the abbey at Port-Royal.

It seems that Pascal died just before, or just as the Tricorne hat became fashionable. Imagine having a triangle on one’s head, and its relationship in space https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricorne

And the current Pope just issued a letter celebrating Pascal. He’s called for Pascal’s beatification. https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/254599/pope-francis-publishes-apostolic-letter-on-blaise-pascal

Posted by
10208 posts

I haven't gone on the grounds, but I know there is an observatory. OTOH, one of my sons was born several decades ago at the maternity hospital mentioned in the Britannica article. Modernized building of course.

Posted by
1985 posts

I have visited Port Royal four years ago, but only the parc. To be honoust I had totally no clue about it’s significance so didn’t visit the museum, but also can’t remember it was open at the time. The abbey lies in the “Parc naturel régional de la Haute Vallée de Chevreuse” and a nice pleasant region to visit. The abbey is to my opinion well to combine with a visit to Château de Breteuil further south. It was once home to Émily du Châtelet (known too for her relationship with Voltaire) also an important but lesser known French (but 18th century) scientist. Breteuil has a few very nice stories linked to Marie-Antoinette, Marcel Proust and not to forget Charles Perrault’s puss in Booths. Afraid guided tours only in French.

Worth further a visit is Vaux de Cernay abbey with ruins of the original abbey in a stunning setting.