Please sign in to post.

Happy 225th Wedding Anniversary to Napoleon and Josephine

• Happy 225th wedding anniversary •

On March 9, 1796, Napoleon Bonaparte, the future emperor of France, married Josephine de Beauharnais, an older widow with two children. The marriage scandalized Bonaparte’s family, but he was undeterred in his passion. He called Josephine, “worse than beautiful.” He once wrote to her, “I awake full of you. Your image and the memory of last night’s intoxicating pleasures has left no rest to my senses.” Josephine’s given name was Marie Josephe Rose Tascher de La Pagerie and she was known as “Rose.” Napoleon Bonaparte, however, preferred “Josephine,” and that’s how she was known from the moment they met.

Napoleon was two hours late for the wedding. They’d been engaged for just two official weeks before marrying. In the marriage contract, she made herself four years younger and he added 18 months to his age to make himself 26. He was scruffy, skinny, unkempt, jealous, and once declared, “Power is my mistress.” Josephine was described as sexy, with a low voice and a “lionine walk.” On their wedding day, he gave her a gold medallion with the inscription, “To Destiny.” Two days after the wedding ceremony, Bonaparte left to lead the French army in Italy.
https://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_josephine/courtship/page_1.html

Posted by
7487 posts

All that is fascinating! So her name got changed, and both of their ages were adjusted. I guess destiny sometimes needs some modification.

What is the 225th Anniversary, not paper, not diamond ...

Posted by
2497 posts

also interesting that Josephine was born on Martinique -- within a decade of when Alexander Hamilton was born 200 miles away on St. Kitts.

Posted by
10245 posts

And although the Revolution had freed all the slaves on the French islands, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Napoleon reinstated it, though Josephine is often credited with convincing him to do it. Wikipedia says he didn’t need convincing but did it before he married Josephine.

Posted by
9423 posts

Napoleon and Josephine’s love story is why I’ve loved going to Malmaison since I was a young child. Every time I’m there I can easily picture her there... They say her ghost can be seen in her gardens at night.