Please sign in to post.

Hair dryers in hotels

We will be on the Paris and the Best of France tour and are wondering if there will be a hair dryer in the hotels where we will be staying. Do I need to contact someone at RS or is there a general guideline/consensus???

Posted by
23290 posts

In the past 10 to 15 year we have not found a hotel that did not have a hair dryer available. If not in the room ask at the front desk. Now wash cloths (face cloths) is a very different issue.

Posted by
6573 posts

Generally, most hotels have them in the rooms, but you may need to get one at the front desk in others. In the rooms they may not be in the bathroom, rather, in a dressing table drawer since some hotels have few outlets in bathrooms.

Posted by
8069 posts

they used to put these odd plastic tubes that blew tepid air in bathrooms but these days you are likely to have a portable dryer provided. If not in the room, the desk will have them. We haven't carried one with us for years.

Posted by
1824 posts

Thanks for the feedback! One less thing to pack

Anyway, never use your American hair dryer 110 volts in France unless it is clearly specified that it can work with 230 volts.
The voltage in France is 230v.
You risk destroying your hair dryer, electrocuting yourself, and also setting fire to the place where you are.

Posted by
8069 posts

I one took the power out of a whole wing of a hotel and another time of the wing of a chateau where we had rented a small apartment -- both times I was using a small hair dryer that could be switched to European power. Apparently you can't boil water on the stove and dry your hair in the chateau -- but in the hotel -- no idea why but it was embarrassing. These events happened over 30 years ago -- things are better now.