Please sign in to post.

Gypsy Jazz in Paris

What are best spots to hear live gypsy jazz in Paris?

Posted by
355 posts

I have not been there, so I can't say from experience. On my list for my next trip to Paris is La Chope des Puces. It is said to be a temple to Django Reinhardt and Jazz Manouche. It is out by the flea market, and there are select days when they have "jam sessions". As I said, I am definitely checking it out on my next trip (hopefully 2017)!

Posted by
3698 posts

Friday nights at Le Bouquet du Nord on Rue de Maubeuge.

Posted by
4044 posts

Every year at the end of June the Django Reinhardt jazz festival occupies a small island in the Seine just outside Fontainebleu. There's an open forum for concerts with name stars, some of whom are not obviously connected to the musical tradition. The real action takes place in the refreshment area where players both young and aged gather in impromptu sessions to test both ability and heritage. They say it never rains. I couldn't find the dates for 2017 but here is the site to watch:
http://festivaldjangoreinhardt.com/spip.php?&lang=en

PS: I struggle with the "gypsy" part of this genre's name, given its obviously negative and historically complex connotations. Any suggestions?

Posted by
3698 posts

I have heard it referred to as jazz manouche or manouche jazz but I have no idea what manouche means so perhaps it could have the same issues for you as the word "gypsy" does.

Posted by
17924 posts

If you find your way to Budapest you might look up:

The Budapest “G Word” Symphony Orchestra
The “G Word” Philharmonic Orchestra
The 100-Member “G Word” Band
Kéhli Vendéglő (excellent Hungarian restaurant with “G” word band)
Kárpátia Étterem és Söröző (excellent Hungarian restaurant with “G” word band)
Rosé Resturant (excellent Hungarian restaurant with “G” word band)
Rézkakas Bistro (excellent Hungarian restaurant with “G” word band)

Posted by
17924 posts

Its really a fascinating culture and one over looked when traveling. Worth the effort. Some countries have tours where and resources where you can learn more about this proud and noble and persecuted minority.

Wikipedia: The English term Gypsy (or Gipsy) originates from the Middle English gypcian, short for Egipcien. The Spanish term Gitano and French Gitan have similar etymologies. They are ultimately derived from the Greek Αἰγύπτιοι (Aigyptioi), meaning Egyptian, via Latin. This designation owes its existence to the belief, common in the Middle Ages, that the Romani, or some related group (such as the middle eastern Dom people), were itinerant Egyptians. According to one narrative they were exiled from Egypt as punishment for allegedly harboring the infant Jesus, the medieval French referred to the Romanies as Egyptiens. The word Gypsy in English has become so pervasive that many Romani organizations use it in their own organizational names.

This exonym is sometimes written with capital letter, to show that it designates an ethnic group. However, the word is sometimes considered derogatory because of its negative and stereotypical associations. The Council of Europe consider that 'Gypsy' or equivalent terms, as well as administrative terms such as 'Gens du Voyage' (referring in fact to an ethnic group but not acknowledging ethnic identification) are not in line with European recommendations. In North America, the word Gypsy is most commonly used as a reference to Romani ethnicity, though lifestyle and fashion are at times also referenced by using this word.
Another common designation of the Romani people is Cingane (alt. Tsinganoi, Zigar, Zigeuner), which probably derives from Athinganoi, the name of a Christian sect with whom the Romani (or some related group) became associated in the Middle Ages.

Posted by
4044 posts

James E: Thanks for your scholarly contribution. I think I may settle for (or compromise on) Gypsy capitalized, following your lead. As a bonus, I encountered a new word, "exonym", which sent me to my trusty dictionary. Dictionaries, plural, in fact. Four volumes later I am no smarter. Is this some sort of linguistic jargon, or is it a new addition to the language? Any advice you can give as to its meaning will be appreciated.

Posted by
3698 posts

An exonym or xenonym is an external name for a geographical place, group of people, or language/dialect: a common name used only outside the place, group or linguistic community in question. For example Germany is the English-language exonym for Deutschland. The word exonym was first used in the late 1950s. And to throw another one at you the opposite of an exonym is endonym. Deutschland is the endonym for Germany. Endonym is the name of a geographical feature or place in an official or well-established language occurring in that area where the feature is located.

Posted by
4044 posts

JHK: Thanks, I think. It takes some mind wrapping-around for an amateur linguist/talker.

I value your contribution to the original discussion of Gypsy/gypsy.