Please sign in to post.

Guedelon 2022

During a planned trip to France next year I really want to stop and see Guedelon. I have seen on their website that they plan on completing the castle next year, however, and perhaps the biggest draw for me is less the castle itself and more the interactive element with those involved in the construction, as well as watching building techniques, etc. I assume that once it’s complete the living history part of it will close down. Has anyone visited the castle recently and gotten a sense that it might actually be completed by 2022? And is it worth going out of the way to visit once it’s complete if there is no longer an interactive element with the ability to watch/learn about medieval construction techniques? Thanks.

Posted by
2153 posts

Hi Arthur, I visited Guedelon in 2009 on a RS tour (Paris and the Heart of France). According to Wikipedia, the project is due to be completed in 2023 so there may still be work going on in 2022. After all the time and money invested, I hope it will continue to operate and educate. I thought the site was very interesting and I'd love to see it completed.

Posted by
2063 posts

I have visited Guédelon in 2006 and 2018 and progress is incredibly slow, there is still a lot of work to do. Still have a photo taken there during my first visit with a panel explaining the project will ending like Donna already says somewhere in 2023. With Covid there must be some delay, so my idea is there is enough building activity to see next year. After this they will start constructing a medieval village, but not sure if this is still the plan after so many years. To be sure you can contact the organization. https://www.guedelon.fr/en/contact