Please sign in to post.

Grenoble

Any fans of Grenoble? I am thinking of adding it as a two night stay during a Lyon, Annecy, Chamonix trip. I have looked at a little bit of tourist info, and to be truthful, it doesn’t immediately reach out and peak my attention like the other locations. Would be in the late summer / early fall. Focus would be on photography, easy hikes, mountain scenery, food .......

Posted by
6880 posts

Hi!
I used to go there regularly as several friends of mine used to live there, but unless it's improved a lot in the past 5 years, I would skip.
It is surrounded by impressive mountains, but the city itself feels very drab for the most part, with the notable exception of the city center which is cute and colorful, but tiny. Also, it gets sweltering and polluted in summer, as it sits in a windless bowl. There are some good hikes in the surrounding mountains but it would be much better to stay in the mountains to take advantage of them.

Posted by
27062 posts

I considered visiting Grenoble during a trip to eastern France in 2017, but I ended up skipping the city because an internet friend living in that part of France said the city had good museums but was otherwise not a favorite of hers. Prior to making my decision I compiled this list of potential sights, which I include here in case it is helpful to you. I pulled this together in early 2017, but the information on the markets may be older:

• Flea market Sun AM. Check locally for location; there may be two.

• Brocante/flea market on the 1st Sat in Quartier Hoche.

• There may still be a junk MKT in the parking lot of the ATAC store on rue Stalingrad. Leave camera, etc., in hotel.

• Natural History Museum, 1 rue Dolomieu – many superb mineral specimens from Chamonix Valley

• Cable car (les Bulles) to ancient bastille. From quai Stephane Jay. Good restaurant and views at top. Walk back down via path thru Jardin Dauphinoise.

• Centre National d’Art Contemporain. Behind the RR station. Wed-Sun 14 – 19.

• Rue Marice-Gignoux on north side of River Isere lined with gardens, cafes, mansions and Musée Dauphinois (history of mountaineering and skiing).

• Musée de Grenoble was first French museum to concentrate on modern ar. Holds Picasso, Matisse, Renoir, Monet, etc. Wed-Mon 10 – 18:30

• Jardin de Ville on edge of old quarter is very nice. Includes sunken rose garden.

Posted by
116 posts

Hi,

I was last in Grenoble in April or May 2015 and I really enjoyed it. I have to admit that it is not a "must" see destination, but the mountain ranges were beautiful. I suspect the fall foliage might be wonderful. I think two nights is sufficient. It is small, compact, beautiful and with great hikes available. As you may be aware, there are cable cars available that take one up to the mountain fortress/Bastille/citadel that overlooks the City. (you can also walk up). Not only does it provide great views, but also great hikes. I found the food there to be excellent, with a bit of an Italian influence. I still remember fondly a duck dish with a white cream sauce and mushrooms that was out of this world. The river Isere weaves right through the City and provides great views and walks. Finally, there was a very, very good museum of arts as well as a Museum of the Resistance. They're not the Louvre, but were a surprise to find in Grenoble.

If I had to choose between Lyon and Grenoble, I'd go with Lyon as there's more to do and see.
Best of luck,

My daughter spent the past two years teaching English there. We visited and spent 2/3 days there while she worked. We enjoyed it. Drove thru the chartreuse area on a beautiful road. Old town is similar to all the other old towns and we just hung out in parks and saw how regular people live. Lots to see and do in the area for a couple of days.