Please sign in to post.

Grasse

In researching posts regarding the south of France, several people have mentioned Grasse. Our plan is to possibly fly in to Geneva, then go to Avignon, Provence area, then Nice. Is Grasse worth the side trip for a day or even a night? Would you trade it for any of the above we had planned? Also looking for any suggestions that aren't the typical tourist towns.

Posted by
27111 posts

I haven't been to Grasse, but it's known a major center for the perfume industry. Lacking a special interest in that topic, I don't know of any special reason to go there. I spent about a month in southeastern France in 2017 and never considered going to Grasse. I opted to visit many other places along the Riviera instead, including Menton, Cap Ferrat, Antibes, Vence, St-Paul-de-Vence and Biot. Nice itself can keep you busy for more than a full day; art lovers would need a minimum of three days. And there are many great places in Provence as well. I think the typical traveler often decides to spend more time in Provence than along the Riviera.

How much time do you have for that part of France?

That I chose not to visit Grasse doesn't mean you shouldn't go there, but I've read nothing that suggests it is of particular interest unless you're really interested in perfume; quite the contrary.

Posted by
2427 posts

My husband and I went there. There is a perfume bottle museum there but that’s about it. I felt it was a waste of time.

Posted by
27111 posts

Eight days is short for the Riviera + Provence, so I'd definitely stop thinking about Grasse unless there's someone in your group with a really, really, serious interest in perfume.

Posted by
678 posts

I'd pass it, given your time. It's not in the upper tier of destinations, unless you are really, really into perfume.

Posted by
32750 posts

I was in Grasse one year, just passing through after visiting other towns in the area. I'm pretty sure I stopped at a McDonalds to get an ice cream and use the facilities. It was hot. I wasn't inspired to look further. The McDonalds was quite nice.

Posted by
11156 posts

If you prefer not to stay in Nice, look at Antibes. That is where we would stay.

Posted by
1161 posts

Thanks everyone - we will take a hard pass.