Please sign in to post.

Grad/prom dress shopping in Paris or London

I'm going to be in Europe this summer with my family and two of our stops are London and Paris. I thought it might be fun if possible to find my daughter's grad dress for next year while we are away. Does anyone have any suggestions of either bigger shops or boutiques where we might find nice dresses without being too crazy expensive? Sort of in the range of the equivalent of $200-400 dollars?

Posted by
1825 posts

My wife is a proffesional shopper for the film industry. She said on our last trip that everything is the same as the stores back home. While Bon Marche and Galleries Layfayette are beyond what we have at home, the merchandise is the same until you get really expensive. Still, any reason to shop is a good one.

Posted by
123 posts

Thanks so much for your replies! I'll write down the names of the stores and check them out.

Posted by
123 posts

Thanks so much for your replies! I'll write down the names of the stores and check them out.

Posted by
3391 posts

If you plan to be in Paris from June 27 - August 7 you'll be there for the Paris summer sales! That is absolutely the best time to buy just about anything. It's the only time of the year that stores are allowed to have sales (by law!) so this is the only chance they have to unload merchandise to make room for the next season.
Look for "Soldes" in the windows and you can score amazing deals, especially getting towards the tail end of that time frame. Up to 70-80% off at many places. The bigger stores can be fantastic - Galeries Lafayette, Bon Marche, Au Printemps are the classic Paris department stores.
I don't know what your daughter's style is like but some of the more unique stores she may like are Karen Millen and Antoine & Lili.
Do you know about "designer depots" in Paris? They are basically high-end consignment shops that are run by very savvy women who can help you find what you are looking for. If you have a little patience you can score amazing things. Look up Arlettie - you have to join for a small fee but this one is just amazing. No changing rooms but if you can find what you are looking for in her size (know her European size!) there are bargains to be had. Misentroc is a little younger style...maybe closer to what your daughter would like. Well within your price range for designer stuff. There is a really big one in the 16th called Reciproque - it is divided into a few different departments and is absolutely huge. Well within your price range for designer stuff.
Have fun...lucky girl to get to find a grad dress in Europe!