Please sign in to post.

Giverny

Do you have a hotel recommendation in or near Giverny? We will be traveling from Paris the day after our flight, want to visit Giverny en route to Bayeau and think Bayeau is too far the day after our overnight flight.
Thank you.
Mary Pat Nanney

Posted by
1852 posts

Les Andelys is a charming town about 15 miles from Giverny. It is on a pretty bend of the Seine. We stayed at the Chaine d'Or several years ago.

Posted by
7278 posts

I second the recommendation for Les Andelys! I do not think that Giverny has enough going on to warrant the overnight stay.
If you want to travel a bit further towards Bayeux, you can have a look at La Bouille, a charming Seine-side village with 1-2 good hotels (le Bellevue looks nice and affordable, I never stayed though). It is very easily accessed from the A13 highway, and from there, I wholeheartedly recommend that you take the ferry across the Seine for a side trip to Jumièges Abbey. Le Bec-Hellouin can also be of interest.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for your ideas. Our original plan was to immediately drive from Paris to Bayeaux. But my concern is not wanting to drive too far after arriving on our overnight flight, picking up luggage then rental car. Rick recommends 3-4 hours to see Monet’s garden, house and museum in Giverny, and the drive to there is an hour. Then want to see Honfleur too. To expect to make it to Bayeaux sounds like a bit much.

After reflecting on all of this we have decided to rearrange the order of our trip and stay in Paris first before traveling to other areas to give a more realistic and relaxing lay enjoyable pace.

Posted by
7278 posts

Oooh yes it is better not to drive right after arrival! Good call.
If you leave Paris by car in the early morning, I think it is possible to visit Giverny and Honfleur that same day on the way to Bayeux, as long as you do not mind a late arrival in Bayeux - you could reach Bayeux for dinner if you are swift, or you could prefer to stay in Honfleur until dinner and drive the final hour (or 75 min) after dinner.
While luggage in a car is always a slight concern, the risk seems very, very low at Giverny and in Honfleur.

Posted by
6 posts

We recommend Hermitage Bed and Breakfast in Giverny; it has a website. Ariane, the owner, also gives excellent tours of Monet’s garden. Hermitage is a lovely place, and it serves a delicious and sumptuous breakfast on vintage china. Hermitage is just dreamy!