Please sign in to post.

Giverny

We are booked for 3 nights close to Monet's Gardens

That is all I know :). Do we need tickets in advance?

Posted by
73 posts

Okay, I got that one. We are going to be 1/2 mile from the Gardens, but have no clue about restaurants, etc... Will be happy to get a car if we need one. We will be taking the Eurostar from London and will do the transfer from Nord to Ste Lazare in a cab. We were planning to take the train to Vernon and then a bus or cab to Giverny. Any good advice very appreciated!!

Posted by
4845 posts

What kind of advice are you looking for? Giverny is quite small, and only a kilometre from the gardens, so I assume that is where you are staying. Check TripAdvisor for restaurants and cafes. We stayed there overnight a few years ago. Charming little town. Not sure what you'll do there for 3 days, but there is an Impressionism Museum near the gardens. If you have a car you might explore around Vernon for a day. What time of year are you going?

Posted by
784 posts

Since you are staying so close to the gardens, my best advice is to get there early, even a little before opening. It gets very crowded quickly with bus tours and cruise boat passengers.

Posted by
2466 posts

You can walk from the train station - no need for a bus or car, unless you are mobility-impaired.

Posted by
1113 posts

Get your ticket to the garden in advance for sure online. With tickets in hand, you just walk to the front of the line and walk right in. We only did a day trip there but had a really nice meal at the restaurant right in front of the garden. Sorry, I can’t remember the name.

Posted by
73 posts

We are thinking of a small group guided tour, there will be four of u.

I really appreciate everyone's replies.

How about eating options in Giverny

Posted by
2466 posts

You don't really need a guided tour. Everything is either gardens or Monet's house.
It would be a waste of money - or you could take Rick's book with you.
Les Nympheas is a good restaurant.

Posted by
5697 posts

Will you have time to visit the Orangerie museum in Paris to see Monet's immense paintings of Giverny waterlilies ?

Posted by
2023 posts

The restaurant at the museum is very over priced. We ate at the Botanic Cafe which has a garden with tables and is a great place for lunch.

Posted by
73 posts

You folks have all been so wonderful with your suggestions and the information you have provided!!
I am sure you have improved our knowledge and the quality of our time there
Thank you so very, very much!!

Posted by
13934 posts

Since you’ll have plenty of time, do spend some time in the churchyard where The Monet family is buried.

One of the first memorials you come to is to an RAF bomber crew that was brought down just outside of town on, I think the early AM of June 7, 1944, so DDay+1. A mangled prop blade is part of the memorial. It is so poignant to me because in my mind Giverny is all Impressionist light/color/beauty and it’s hard to remember they were in a war zone as well. Bless the locals for honoring the crew.