Please sign in to post.

Getting from CDG to Bayeux

I'm starting to plan for a mid-August trip to France. This will be the first time there for both my husband and me. Tentative plan is to start the trip in Bayeux (four nights) and then ten nights in Paris. We may tack on a week in Spain (San Sebastian) before returning home.

Long story to say I am trying to figure out how to get to Bayeux from CDG. I am checking thetrainline.com to get an idea of what is possible. When I check from Paris to Bayeux (using February as dummy date), I see a non-stop option from the St-Lazare stop lasting 2 hours, 18 minutes. When I put in CDG as the departure point, it takes 5 hours, 32 minutes with 2 changes.

I'm thinking the best bet is to take a taxi to St-Lazare and go from there. Does this make sense, or is there a better option?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Posted by
5687 posts

You can take the RER (commuter train) from CDG into Paris, but that will get you to Nord station, and you'd still need to get to St-Lazare station. Obviously you could take a taxi - takes more time but probably a bit cheaper than just taking a taxi directly from CDG.

I seem to recall direct buses from CDG into Normandy if you'd consider that, but for August there may be nothing on the schedules yet.

You might have better luck getting to Caen, a bigger town, from CDG and get to Bayeux from there.

Are you planing to drive at all? Maybe you can take the train from CDG toward Normandy and pick up a car closer to Bayeux. Driving in Normandy is pretty easy and sure makes it easier to get around. Of course, you could rent a car and drive from CDG too, but I assume you've already ruled that out.

Posted by
10195 posts

Yes, that's a good option, particularly since this is your first trip to France. Keep it simple. Be sure to follow the signs to the official taxi rank. Don't accept a ride from any if the solicitors. I don't remember the price to the St. Lazare Station, Gare St. Lazare, but it's a fixed price and someone else will tell you.

Posted by
1818 posts

I agree with Bets, keep it simple. Take a taxi from CDG to St Lazare station. The fixed rate is €58 to Paris right bank (where the station is located).
Make sure you will have enough transfer time between the arrival of your flight and the departure of the train.

Posted by
2545 posts

The fixed fare from CDG to the Right Bank is 53€ which is where St Lazare is.

58€ is the fixed fare to the Left Bank.

Taxi drivers are not tipped.

Posted by
10195 posts

But we always tip a couple of euros because we want to. Growing up in France, my husband's family was best friends with a family of taxi drivers.

Posted by
109 posts

Thanks to all for the input.

Okay, step one: taxi to St Lazare to get the train...now for the rest of itinerary. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!